What's new

Newbie help...PLEASE???!!! (1 Viewer)

JohnathanB

Auditioning
Hello there! I have been a long time reader but new forum contributor. I am not about to waste all of your time asking questions you home theater gurus get, i.e.

"What is the best dvd player to get?"

"What are the best speakers?"

"What kind of receiver should I buy?"

BUT....

Could I get a few websites that I could REALLY educate myself on what is out there in the market, what to look for, what NOT to get?

I guess I am looking for sites that I can learn a whole bunch from regarding speakers, dvd players, and receivers and what make them "good" or "bad".

Consumer Reports is good for what it is, but does not begin to scratch the surface on GOOD home theatre systems. They list Bose as one of the best systems out there...nuff said.

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to reading some educational sites!!!

John

P.S. - ******** I would really appreciated it if you could direct me to sites that are not technical jagon...I will be lossed in the lingo!! Need "Vocabulary and Info for Home Theater Dummies" -like sites. Thank you!!

Benny G

Second Unit
One of my favorites is: www.audioreview.com
I would also recommend using the Search function for this website. (There have been many, many good threads for all price ranges of all kinds of components.)
(oops)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Johnathan;

Honestly, I would direct you to a site that could teach you everything you've ever wanted to know about home theater, but you're all ready here.

Seriously, you can learn a lot about HT just by reading this board. You can learn even more by doing searches and asking your own questions. We're more than happy to help.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
As far as products go all the major manufacturers produce excellent HDTV's, progressive scan DVD players, Dolby Digitial / DTS receivers for home theaters. JVC, Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Denon, Hitachi, Panasonic to name a few. It is not a matter of buying a bad product, rather determining just what you require in a home theater setup. Once you have determined your requirements you can then review various products that fit into your budget.

KonradM

Auditioning
Best Advice is to use sites like Home Theater Forum, Audio Review, Audio Utopia, Audio Asylum and others as a source to determine you short list of components. Then go audition, audition, audition and audition some more and buy what sounds the best to you. Obviously speakers are going to have the biggest differences in sound, recievers will have small differences and even small differences noticed with CD/DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks