newbie greetings -help needed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by robert reinish, Nov 25, 2003.

1. robert reinish

robert reinish Auditioning

Hi all,

Newbie here entering the brave new world of HDTV. I have several questions as I start building my new system. First some background:

- I just purchased Mitsubishi Diamond WS-55813. Comes tomorrow. Love the set so I had to splurge.

- I have an older SOny DVP-S7700 Was the gold standard when I bought it, but I am told I need to upgrade to get the best out of this TV.

- I have DirectTV but also have antenna going on the house so I can get OTA HD.

Here are my questions . Bear with me as I learn more here:

1. Do I need to upgrade the DVP-S7700? I am told that is not progressive scan. If I need to upgrade, what do folks recommend?

2. I also need to upgrade my Directv receiver. Which one is best for HDTV? I have been told the new Sony is not that great. Any recommendations?

3. Once the dust settles, I am going to buy receiver speaker combo or components to build my surround sound system. Should I purchase my DVD player in a theater in a box package or buy components separately?

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Killer TV [​IMG]

1. Definately. Suggestions will depend on how much you want to spend.

3. Seperate components. Stay away from theater in a box packages. Possibilities are nearly endless.

People here are going to ask for info. Budget, listening habits (movies vs music), room size, aesthetics, etc.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Robert. I am going to move your post over to the Audio Video sources where you will likely find more discussion on receivers/sat HD systems. (Dont worry, they are all good guys over there.)

4. robert reinish

robert reinish Auditioning

Budget for HDTV Directtv box is under $600 or so. Being I have a new high end HDTV (55 inch Mitsu Diamond) I want to get the best performance I can and have most input choices possible.

Haven't even considered budget for DVD player. I want a good one with progressive scan, but don't want to break the bank. On DVD, I really like my sony DVP-s 7700 but I guess it's yesterdays technology and doesn't have progressive scan. Will I notice a big difference upgrading?

5. Rajeev Dawar

Rajeev Dawar Agent

Hi Robert.
    Congratulations on the fine purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy the superior picture quality for many years to come.[​IMG]

Here is what I would suggest:
    Even though the Sony DVD player you have is not a progressive scan player, you will definitely get a lot better picture than you are used to by just connecting it to your TV via component video and selecting '16:9' in the 'TV' option in your DVD player's setup. Your TV has a built in line-doubler that will give you a 'progressive scan' picture. will it be the best available picture? Probably not, but it'll still be leaps and bounds better than your older conventional TV. If you wish, you can buy a progressive scan player later. (I'm assuming here that there is a budget involved.[​IMG] ). Good players are available from about $150.00 and up with some really good ones over a grand!
    The first thing I would do is get the DirecTV HDTV STB. Which one to get? That question is best answered by browsing the forum here and other places like avsforum, HT Spot, and so on....
    One thing you will find out very fast is that there is no perfect player or STB. You will have to decide on the basis of what's important to you.
    Good luck with your hunt and enjoy the picture!