Newbie: Good Start: Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tansal, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Tansal

Tansal Auditioning

Hi, everyone, this is my first post. Earlier this year I upgraded some of my equipment, getting a 20" Panasonic CT-20SX10B television (looks like a Sony Wega) and a Sony DVP-NS400D DVD player, connected via component cables. Though the built-in stereo speakers of the television set are an improvement over my previous Zenith, I would like to venture into the world of surround sound.

My budget and the construction of the apartment I live in prevent me from getting a substantial setup. My walls might as well be made of cardboard as insulation. Therefore, a home theater enthusiast friend recommended I get a Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500, which is available online for under $250 with all the necessary accessories included. This is probably a good example of the kind of modest setup I have in mind. I don't want something that'll shatter the glass, just something that will expand and better my current setup by a bit.

My greatest fear with the cheap systems is that they'll end up sounding inferior to these TV speakers, with a dull boxed-in quality. Having heard a previous incarnation of Cambridge SoundWorks speakers, I'm confident that this will not quite be the case. Are there any other ideas for one-stop solution products (or similar) that are around that price range? Thanks.

--Tansal

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it's not the Newton line from Cambridge, IMO, don't bother. The older Cambridge speakers just don't cut it. Might as well be buying BOSE.

The Newton lineup however, is quite nice.

3. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Actually, you'd be saving thousands of dollars by getting the Cambridge if the alternative is bose. For a similar bose setup with a receiver/6speakers it costs at least $1300 given their inflated values.

I actually still use my DT2500 with NO REMOTE/NO DTS. It's archaic but when I got it 3 years ago, it was my introduction to the world of surround sound with the limited budget I had. Then, I was impressed. If you are on a limited budget and $250 is all you've got, it's great value. However, it has no dts. I believe you can find some systems with DTS built in like the Yamaha home theater in a box for computer systems. The speakers are terrible though. Much worse than the cambridge. The nice thing about the Cambridge is that all accessories are included - cables, even speaker stands for the rears.

4. Bernard L

Bernard L Stunt Coordinator

hmmm... I never thought of using computer speakers as a home theatre system.
    what an interesting idea... [​IMG]
    but yah, the DTT3500 would sound MUCH better than your generic TV speakers for sure.

5. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

check out www.hometheaterdirect.com
    everybody raves about the level III series, but the level I series can be had for $150. Might be what you're looking for. mate these with a cheap reciever and you'll be in business.
    good luck.