newbie dvd questions about progressive scan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sammy S, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Sammy S

Sammy S Auditioning

My question relates to progressive scan; I currently do not have an hdtv, and I'm uncertain as to whether or not this will be upgraded in the near future (my living space would better utilize a plasma tv, and well, they still are pretty high priced). Would I be better off looking into a progressive scan machine at this time? I was looking at the Pioneer dv-444, which has progressive scan, but I've discovered that this isn't "true" progressive scan, which as I understand it is a "3:2 pulldown menu" (not sure what that means).

Also, I've heard that progressive scan dvd players won't work with standard tv's. Does this mean that the dvd player won't work at all or that the progressive scanning won't work?

If a projection tv upgrade is planned (probably the Mits 46805 I think it is), I assume that a progressive scan dvd player would be in order. Any recommendations? I've heard nothing but good about the panasonics.

Thanks for your assistance.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

With a progressive scan player you will not get the benifit of a progressive output without and HD ready tv but can use the players interlaced output without any problems.....If you plan on an hdtv set later, than progressive would be a good way to go now...Look at panasonic RP56..It is a great progressive player for around 250