newbie/dumb home theater speaker question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian tees, Dec 27, 2001.

1. brian tees

brian tees Extra

i'm replacing my 6-year old home theater receiver, after doing the research decided to pick up the onkyo 595 (around $375)...but all the reviews say that i better have 'efficient' speakers (it's only 75W x 5)

i bought my speakers 6 years ago from a friend of mine...i know they are supposed to be good but what exactly would make them 'efficient' ??

the speakers are canton karat 920 dc's, here's the info off the back:

impedance: 4...8 Ohm

DIN power handling: 70 Watt

Music power handling: 100 Watt

Frequency range: 33...30000 Hz

these will be used with a powered sub if it makes any difference

thanks guys

2. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Like an amplifiers power rating, speaker effeciency is subjective.

Usually, effeciency is noted by the Signal to Noise ratio, S/N.

In essence, your question is: "Does this receiver have enough power to handle these speakers?"

The answer is: "more than likely, Yes."

In the real world, this is only relevant to you if you plan on playing your system at or near reference levels. That's pretty rare.

If you have any doubts, you can bring your speakers into the store and check them out with the receiver. Or, you can buy the receiver and check them out at home with the stipulation that you can return the receiver if it's not to your liking.

3. Marcelo T

Marcelo T Stunt Coordinator

Correct me if I´m wrong, but I believe speaker effeciency is related to speaker sensibillity. Anything about 90 would be a effecient speaker.

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

yes speaker sensitivity is rated in db/w, the higher the sensitivity the better - average speakers are rated at 89 db/w. I would add a subwoofer to your system and set all speakers to small. A lot of power is required by woofers, because they have to work harder to push the air required for bass notes. If you crank the volume without a powered sub in the system you run the risk of damaging the voice coils on yor tweeters.