What's new

Newbie DTS hookup question -- Panny RP-82 (1 Viewer)

Peter Kurtz

Auditioning
I have a Yamaha rx-v992 from a few years back that has been doing my DD decoding. Since I just purchased a wide-screen tv, I also purchased the Panasonic RP-82 to get the benefit of progressive scan.
My question is this -- I notice the rp-82 also does DTS decoding. How do I get the benefit of DTS decoding from the DVD player and at the same time DD decoding from the Yamaha receiver?? Do I have to switch to analog hookup and do all the decoding (DD and DTS) with the Panasonic instead of DD decoding with the Yamaha receiver?? I heard that the preferred method of decoding is with the receiver if possible. Is this true??

Thanks for any help. I am confused.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
You basically already have the right idea. If your Yamaha receiver does not decode DTS, then you will need to let the RP82 do it. Of course, this means that you will need a 6-channel input on the receiver. For DD, you can let the RP82 perform that (via the 6-ch input on the receiver) or use your existing receiver for the decoding.

Peter Kurtz

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. This is where I am confused. Can I have both a digital cable (via coax) and analog cables hooked up at the same time from the Pan 82? When I select DTS from a DVD movie will the decoding be done automatically from the analog cables or will the digital coax take precedence??
Thanks

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I think you can. Doesn't the RP82 allow you to set the output of the DD and DTS seperately or am I remembering wrong. I think you'd do DD bitstream and DTS PCM (?), I'm guessing here.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately the 992 doesn't have separate six-channel inputs. So external, decoded input (for DTS or, for that matter, for SACD) is not an option.

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is true... I recently came across a Yammy 992 in a persons home. It did not have the 6 connection analog inputs needed to use an extrenal decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks