newbie DIY question: regular epoxy vs. metal epoxy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I just bought a pair of Klipsch Forte II, which are unshielded. I can't get them near the TV so I've ordered bucking magnets from Klipsch. I went to Home Depot expecting to pick up some 5 minute epoxy. I saw the 5 minute epoxy but I also saw something called metal epoxy. I'm not very "epoxy literate" but I'm assuming the metal version is stronger.

My question...is the metal version the better choice for attaching the bucking magnets? I want the strongest, longest lasting stuff I can get. I assume that would be the metal epoxy but I want to make sure it's the right product for this application.

BTW, if anyone has any tips for this I'd appreciate it. I've never opened a speaker so I'm a complete DIY newbie.

Thanks!

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The epoxies with the longer setting times or things like JB Weld have very high adhesive strength. But that isn't needed to attach a bucking magnet.

Use the 5 minute stuff and understand that it's going to take much longer than that for it to fully set up. Hold the magnet in place with duct tape while the epoxy is does it's thing.

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks Thomas!