What's new

Newbie Denon 1803 and Sony DVD hookup question (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi group,

I just received the Denon 1803 yesterday. Believe it or not, I'm almost 30 and this is my first real receiver and system. This will be paired up with an older Sony DVD player and Swan Diva 2.1's.

Anyway, I know I will need to hook up the s-vid out of the DVD into the Denon, and then the optical out of the DVD into the Denon, and then assign the optical input on the receiver to work with the DVD player input. That part I understand....

But for playing CD's, can I assign the same optical input for the CD player on the receiver, or do I have to run seperate analog cables also into the CD-IN on the receiver?

Thanks, Aaron

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
aaron, if your cd player has a digital out it is most likely a coaxial output. youll have to connect that to a coaxial input in the receiver. does your cd player have a digital output?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'd like to use the DVD player also as the CD player. I just looked at the DVD player has both optical and coax digital outs.

Aaron

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your DVD is the only video source you have, there is no reason to send the video to the receiver first. Go straight to the TV.

For CDs, you shouldn't need to do anything. Just play them and use the same "DVD" input/setting and you are done. On most receivers, you cannot assign the same digital input to more than one source.

If you do want to hook the analog outs to the Denon via the CD inputs, that will work as well. What matters then is which has the better DACs, your DVD or the Denon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks