What's new

Newbie crashes and burns...Needs Speaker Fix (1 Viewer)

Mike R Martin

Auditioning
Attempting a dedicated HT in an extra bedroom. It's 11ft wide and 13 deep. To add room I partially ripped out the closet in front so to set in a Sony 57inch widescreen and A/V rack.Add HD Satellite, Dolby Digital, hang curtains and wait for applause. Problem. The extra space from the closet is only 8ft wide with the remaining 38inches on the left walled in (can't have it).The TV is 53inches and requires 40 inches either side to center. Result... My left JBL S26 is against solid wall and the S center and right are 3 ft away from any wall. Since speaker wire length matters in your forum I'm guessing that this is a bad thing. Could I build Identical acoustic panals to put behind all of them?
Dimentions??Materials??Suggestions??Pity?? Surrounds also JBL S26 , 12inch Sony Sub, onkyo txds595 reciever.
Thanks
Mike
[email protected]

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure where you heard that the length of the speaker wire is critical. It isn't.

What is critical is proper speaker placement. You're placing a barrier between your speakers and from the sound of it you are wedging them in against a wall on one side and into a large opening on the other. It is not a good idea to place a speaker in a constricted opening or within another box. This is decidedly less than optimal placement. Can you move the rack out of the closet and run your wires to the speakers and TV? It will give you more breathing room and will clean up the apearance. Good luck.

Mike R Martin

Auditioning
The left,center and right speaker fronts are all positioned outside of the closet. The left would be wall mounted, the center over the TV and the right would be??? I can rebuild the wall behind it, but how far up? Oh, the speaker wire comment was a lame attempt at humour:)

Mike R Martin

Auditioning
Also, my intent on the closet space was to accomadate the body of the free-standing tv and the separate equipment rack. The tv screen would be just outside. Only two feet of outer closet wall extends down from the ceiling, which I was going to use to hang a valance and curtains on the left and right. My big plan was to extend the curtains to the TV when it was showtime. A lame attempt at encaseing the screen and hiding the rack. The speakers were meant to be just forward of the screen and curtains. So I'm thinking Im going to partially rebuild the wall on the right from the ground up to mount the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks