1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie could use some input on first HT system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Darr, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Josh Darr

Josh Darr Auditioning

I think the title says it all, so I will move on to the details of what I am considering.

Room Size: 15' W x 20' L x 8' H

I am looking for great picture quality and sound in a system that plays DVD, CD and MP3 CDs (just like everyone else I suppose). However I can not afford top of the line components so I am looking for the best I can get in my price range. The total of the components I am considering is ~4k.

I am considering a modest Toshiba 36" HDTV (36HF71) paired with a JVC XV-FA95GD Progressive Scan DVD for video. Any experience with these units would be greatly appreciated.

For audio I plan to go with a Denon 3802 receiver with NHT speakers all around. Specifically SB-2 speakers in the front and rear, SC-1 in center and a SubOnei woofer.

I have heard the NHT SB-2s, and older NHT SubZero, SubOne and SW10 speakers and they all sound great. A local store recommended a Mirage FRX-S10 Subwoofer, but a review I read noted that while great for movies this sub did not provide good sound for music. I plan to listen to both extensively so one or the other really is not good enough, I need both.

Any help from those who have or do own any of the above would be genuinely appreciated. Looking for help anywhere I can find it...

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Josh,if you auditioned the NHTs and liked them..then you'll *probably* like them in your home too. Speakers can sound a bit different in different room environments though..so make sure you can at least get full credit for the NHTs in you decide you want to trade them in in a couple weeks. The subone is ok,but I think you'd be better off with something like the HSU VTF-2. It's $499 direct from hsuresearch...but you can usually find it in the $399-$449 range with some careful online shopping.

TV