Newbie considering Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Theater T300 6.1 System: comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thad_C, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I've been lurking in this forum for a while, searching for ideas for an HT system around $2000 (excluding receiver). I'm considering the Cambridge Soundworks Newton Theater system w/ T300 towers, but have not heard them--I'll just return them if I don't like them (around $1700 w/ discount at hifi.com). In fact, I'm planning to check out a few alternatives this weekend (perhaps Paradigm, if my budget will permit). Does anyone have any comments on CSW system? I've also checked out Axiom, but I haven't heard them (and probably won't have the opportunity, as I live in Chicago). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OT: I'll also need a receiver, and CSW is offering the Marantz SR7200, which, based on HTF user comments, has had some problems in the past. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your comments! This forum is incredible for those of us who are Newbies.

Thad

2. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I forgot to mention-- I'm considering, specifically, the Paradigm Phantom or Legends. Thanks!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Cambridge, overall, enjoys a good reputation as a bang-for-the-buck value. But it's not "cheap" in the sense of being low-end. I have great respect for the work of the late Henry Kloss. Try the system.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Thad. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Thanks for the complement. We have some fairly advanced discussions going on, but we love introducing people to our hobby.
    I have to warn you about the Paradigms. One year I sent a co-worker to the local dealer to just listen to some. He left with a set. When this happened a second time, I decided to avoid the store (or at least leave the credit cards at home).
    The Paradigm line has a very good reputation around here. The quality of the sound is excellent and the prices make them an outstanding value.
    I have heard that the CSW Newton series is a step up from the regular CSW speakers, but one of the reviews I read someone spoke about flaws. The reviewer liked the look, construction, but heard things he did not like. (Go to your local news stand and look for the current issue of "The Perfect Sound" magazine for the review).
    When you go to audition, take along some CD's and a favorite DVD movie. Only by using material you are familar with can you really judge a speaker set.
    Between the two, a CD will reveal things about a speaker that a DVD movie will not. So even if you are more into movies, use a CD to audition.
    I also strongly recommend you go for 2 auditions. Take impressions the first time, then go back a few days later and see if the speakers still impress. I have had the experience of some speakers sounding so-so one saturday, but sounding pretty good the next.
    Also, tastes in speakers are like tastes in ice cream. Your favorite Strawberry ice cream will never taste better than my favorite Chocolate. Keep this in mind when asking/getting advice on what speaker is "best".
    Good Luck.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

1700 for cambridge soundworks? to me, for that brand, that sounds pricey.

admittedly, i've never listened to them, so i cannot really comment on their quality.

what i do recommend is that you audition as many speakers as you can in that price range. go to all the b&m stores, bring music that you are familiar with, and do as much listening as you can. that way, you'll be able to make an informed decision.

if, after all that, you still like the cambridge...then you've found the best speaker for you. like bob said, speakers are very subjective...only your ears will tell you what sounds good!

some other brands to consider: energy, infinity, polk audio, paradigm, kef, klipsch...

6. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

Thanks everyone for the excellent and sage recommendations. I'm looking forward to checking out the Paradigms with my favorite DVD's and CD's and letting my ears do the comparison testing.

From what I've gathered to date, many people like the Onkyo DS797, Marantz SR7200, and, particularly, the Denon 3802. I'm sure I can't go wrong with any of the three but I'm having some trouble making any principled reason for choosing any of the three (I have a medium sized living room, and probably don't need the center rear speaker with 7.1). I probably will not have the opportunity to really compare them directly against each other.

Anyone care to weigh in on these selections?