Newbie connetion question!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by James_K, Sep 10, 2003.

1. James_K

James_K Auditioning

Can anybody advise me which is the best connection for my HT system? Here is the list of my equipemnt:
    TV-Hitachi 50V500 (1 DVI, 2 component, 3 S-Video, 3 composite)
    DVD-Panasonic XP-50
    HT-Onkyo HT-S660

I'm planning to connect my DVD player to TV via component. Onkyo HT-S660 to DVD player via Digital Coax-S video. Is this the best connection? Or should I connect the DVD player to the HT-S660 and out to TV via S-Video?

Thanks!

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

The component cables will send video to your TV and the digital coax will take care of sound ... Since you're already connecting your DVD video to the TV with component video there's no need to send S-video to your HT receiver.

You may want to connect your receiver to your TV with S-video if you want to use Onkyo's on screen display function - but this connection has nothing to do with the DVD player.

3. James_K

James_K Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Onkyo's website and the connection for the HT-S660 to DVD player requires digital coax and S-Video? Am I missing something?

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I'm guessing you clicked on the "Connections" wizard on the onkyo website. They assume that you don't have component video on your TV and you're using the 660 to switch your video sources. Since you're not using the HT660 as a component video switch (it can't do that), just send audio from DVD to the reciever and video from the DVD to the TV.

The receiver doesn't know the difference if you don't route video through it. As a rule of thumb, you should only route video through your reciever if you have multiple sources of the same type(i.e. SVHS player, Sat receiver, digital cable box all might have S-video). If that is the case you will want to hook those into the appropriate input on your receiver and run an S-video cable from the "monitor out" jack on the receiver to the S-video input on your TV.

Also note that with this setup, you will have to adjust the input on your TV depending on what source you are watching. So if you want DVD, set your TV to Compoenent 1, but if you switch to digital cable, you'll have to press the "input" button on your TV remote until it says "Video 1" or whatever input you attached your S-video to.

OK, hope that isn't too confusing. Good luck!