Newbie - Connections for surround sound question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by steve_kennedy, Aug 14, 2003.

1. steve_kennedy

steve_kennedy Auditioning

Aug 13, 2003
    Hi, I am looking for advice regarding the connections I can make between my TV/Video/DVD to make the sound from all sources use the surround sound speaker set-up.

I don’t know much about surround sound set-ups. I bought a new Toshiba DVD Home Cinema Kit with surround sound thinking all sound sources would use this. The model is a SD-43HK and some of the specs from the website are below. My Thomson Widescreen Virtal Surround Sound TV, and Thomson Nicam Stereo Video both have two Scarts on the back, and no other sockets. Is there a way via the cabling, or using other devices, of getting my TV and Videos audio to come through the surround sound speakers?
    I guess this is either not possible or dead easy (but too difficult for me obviously) – help please!! [​IMG]

RGB Output via SCART
    Optical Audio Terminal
    Analogue 2-channel audio output
    Composite Video Input and Output

5 x 50w RMS output + 70w subwoofer
    Dolby Digital compatible
    Dolby Pro-Logic II Compatible
    MPEG2 5.1 Surround
    Digital Theatre System (DTS) compatible
    3 Mode Digital Surround Processing
    Sampling rate: 24bit/96KHz
    Jitter Reduction
    Enhanced Audio Mode (EAM)
    Passive Sub Woofer
    6 speaker package
    Analogue Amplifier
  2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Jun 11, 2003
    When playing from TV or Video source try using Dolby Pro-Logic 2, that should take care of it. I would imagine you are probably only getting sound from your front (main) speakers. You probably just need to play around with your reciever and set it to DPL2.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

From what I can tell from Toshiba’s website the SD-43 has a pair of composite audio and video inputs. This is where you would plug in audio signals from the TV and Nicam.

If they don’t have audio outputs you’re out of luck. You will have to get another device to act as a tuner for your TV, that can send audio to your Toshiba. Such as a VCR, cable box, sat receiver, etc.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  4. steve_kennedy

steve_kennedy Auditioning

Aug 13, 2003

I was fiddling with wires, cables and buttons all last night then remembered I had a funny looking cable with a normal scart connection at one end (A), and a scart with 4 audio cables coming out aswell at the other end (B).
    I plugged A into the back of the DVD, B into the back of the TV and the trailing audio cables into the back of the ports of the DVD.

Full surround-sound on TV Video and DVD - ConAir sounded great!!
    Goes to show, never chuck out old funny looking cables.
    Thanks for your help fellas.