Newbie Connection Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BenKof, Jun 14, 2004.

1. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Looking for some help here .. I just brought a new HT receiver home and am now confronted with way too many connections issues. Might be a dumb question, but is there any "must have" set of connectors/cables that I should buy? For example, I need to connect my DVD player and my cable box to the receiver .. do I use optical cables or S-Video? I'm thinking I should just head to Best Buy and get two of everything to be on the safe side.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ben, you're confusing two different kinds of connection issues. For video, either use a set of component-video cables (Y/PbPr) or an S-video cable and connect the DVD player directly to the monitor/display. Use the receiver's similar connections only if space is an issue.

But for audio and to be able to enjoy one of the digital surround-sound modes, use either a coaxial or an optical cable (doesn't matter which) and connect the DVD player's digital out to the receiver's digital in. (And then make sure that Dolby Digital and DTS are enabled in the DVD player's audio set-up menu and that your receiver's inputs are assigned accordingly.)

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Oh, and as for digital cable, if the box has S-video capability, connect that directly to the display as well. If it's a high-def cable box, use the component-video outputs. And for digital sound, do the same as with the DVD player -- digital out to digital in.

4. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

damn, jack beat me to it. and his post sounds better so ill delete mine.

^what he said.

Johnny

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. BenKof

BenKof Agent

Thanks everyone ... it's a lot clearer now.

Ben