What's new

Newbie connection question or 2. (1 Viewer)

Paul Moores

Auditioning
For many years had a sony xbr400 and bought a sd840 sony reciver. Then bang ran outa money.

Now years later ive gotten a 'cheap' set of Sony HT-DDW750 Sub/ 5 Speakers off ebay for almost nothing. I know that they are going to be overpowered so ill have to keep the sound down.

Question is, on the receiver there are 2 connections for the subwoofer.. is that for 2 subwooferes or do i need to get a y-connector to connect to the single connector on the subwoofer?

Also, excluding the higher power issue of the receiver, anything i should watch out for, given that it was suppose to be a cheap receiver for these speakers vice the sd840.

Also, ill be buying a basic roll of speaker wire for the center,front and rear speakers.. Given im not trying to be high end so dont need nothing fancy, will any speaker wire do the job or do i need a specific gauge?

tks in advance.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi paul -

i'm not familiar with your receiver, but i'll bet you can use only one of the sub outputs. usually they're labeled something like "L/mono". in any case, it doesn't matter.

most people think it' dangerous to overpower your speaker. in reality, people do more damage by underpowering them. so, i think you'll be fine. just think ... cleaner power equals better sound at lower volumes.

just get some decent 14g wire from home depot ... it'll work just fine. don't go any lower then 14g if you can help it.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Ted covered your other questions well, however, he did repond assuming that you meant two inputs on the subwoofer, and not two outputs on your receiver.

Are you sure you have two outputs on the receiver? This would be strange.

I just ran a google on it, and one site indicated that it has " 2x 5.1 channel out"

So check your manual, but I would be 99% certain that they output the same thing, and you should only connect one of the subwoofer outputs. I've never seen an entry level receiver with multiple surround pre-outs. Strange.

Paul Moores

Auditioning
To think though, if i had bought that receiver now and not 2 or 3 years ago id have payed 1/3 the price haha. But for what their worth, the speakers cost a whole $71 on ebay. So not much lost, but do hope the work without error, only got a roll of wire a fewminutes ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks