What's new

Newbie, Connection Help LCD TV/DVDR/DVD Receiver/Std Sky (Both DVD'S are upscalers) (1 Viewer)

skthecat

Auditioning
Real Name
Karl Carrigan
Good Morning, this is my first post and first foray into the world of Surround Sound and AV stuff..

I have the following equipment below, I only use the signal from Sky, so their is no need for ariel cabling. How is it best to connect this lot up? I want the best picture, best sound available from all sources (Watching DVD'S & Sky TV) and to record from the DRT389H. I only have standard Sky at present so no + or HD +

I do not have any HDMI Switcher (TV only has one HDMI Socket) so currently only have one source to TV (both DVDR and Panasonic DVD Reciever have HDMI'S out)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 37" LCD TV
(2 Scarts, 1 DTV out Scart, 1 HDMI, Comp, Optical + assorted other ins and outs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG DRT 389389H DVDR Upscaling Recorder
(2 Scarts, 1 HDMI, Comp out, Optical Out, Coaxial Out S video and L & R Audio out, RF in/Out
Sky Digibox (Standard) By PACE
TV Scart, VCR Scart, Video + L & R Audio Out [RF in/Out I think]
Panasonic PT 460EB DVD Receiver.
1 Scart, 1 HDMI, 1 x Optical In and Aux L & R In

I have all these devices drawn out with Input/Outputs drawn in so if you respond with which cable to which device/out/input I will be able to transpose this to a visual diagram. Please remember I am a newbie to the AV World, so be gentle. PS Don't forget I only have a Standard Skybox and no ariel input.

Rgds;

skthecat

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I tried looking at this yesterday and ran out of time. Since today doesn't look any better, here's what I have:

Panosonic's web site stinks. And when I eventually got to it, I found the manual for the Panny to be really horrible. I know that that's not what you were looking for, but I had to get that out.

All in all the Panny is your choke point. If you can at all return that baby and upgrade I would highly recommend that.

As best I can tell (even after reading the manual) the receiver doesn't have any video inputs. So the best you can do is route the audio from the other component back to the receiver. (Ideally what you'd want to do is route all your inputs through the receiver and then the receiver to the TV.)

Specifically: Digibox to both the TV and recorder using SCART. Recorder to TV using SCART. Recever/DVD to TV using HDMI. Optical from TV to receiver.

There's a case to be made for using the HDMI for the upscaling reciever. But I chose to use it for the DVD player because (1) I assumed you'd be using the recorder mostly to record cable, and then the HDMI quality wouldn't matter. (2) That saves the best connection for the DVD player. And finally (3) the TV, being fixed pixel, upscales everything anyway.

skthecat

Auditioning
Real Name
Karl Carrigan
Hi, thanks, the TV has 3 scarts, the third is labelled (DTV OUT)? Any idea what this means? I have searched the interweb, but their does not seem to be any real conviction in what people have said they are for?

Rgds;

skthecat

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks