What's new

Newbie confusion: HD output looks like video? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Michael

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Hi everyone,

I've got a PS3 connected to a 1080p Samsung LN46A650 LCD via HDMI and everything looks like it was shot on video. Is this just a fact of life converting 24fps to 1080p or is there an internal setup in the console or TV to properly have filmed material "move" like film?

It's incredibly disconcerting watching a $150 million movie that feels like it was shot on videotape. I don't recall this problem watching my BDs on a friend's Sony 1080i set with the PS3/HDMI hookup.

Thanks for any help you can give me - I appreciate this must be a stupid question!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Is the PS3 set to output 1080? Have you calibrated the PS3 to your display?

Televisions often have brightness and contrast turned up way high in the store to be "eye catching". However these settings tend to cause bloom and wash out fine details (making things look like video instead of film.)

The BluRay copy of Digital Video Essentials is something like $18 from Amazon and will give you a tutorial and test patterns to adjust brightness/contrast/color/white level, etc so you get more detail. Even the standard def copy of Avia or Digital Video Essentials can help.

Some hints:

- Make sure the TV is warmed up
- Make sure to calibrate at the time of day you normally do your more serious TV watching. Calibrating on a sunny Saturday afternoon may not give the best results for evening HDTV and Movie watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks