Newbie component cable question??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-Smith, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

I posted this question under "Audio / Visual sources" and realized it probably should be posted here . . . I was told a component cable set from Monster is only available in length up to 2 meters. Is this accurate? Are there suppliers that will custom fab component cables longer than 2 meters? Thanks [​IMG]

2. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

you can get em in just about any length you need. what're you looking for?

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

Chu,

I need 17' component set for my DVD player.

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I always wondered who needs 25 feet of cable for a DVD playe to TV...so I ask you, how do ya need 17 feet?

I guess my home theater "room" is much smaller than others...but I just don't see how it could be 17 feet away?

-ELmO

7. Bob-Smith

Bob-Smith Agent

ELmo,

"I always wondered who needs 25 feet of cable for a DVD playe to TV...so I ask you, how do ya need 17 feet? "

I have bookshelves on the front wall of my home theater room. The space between the bookshelves will not accomodate my 53" Hitachi, my JBL Studio Series 312 towers, and a rack to hold DVD, amp/receiver, etc. I am forced to put the DVD player on/in one of the bookshelves, and need 17' of component cable to reach the TV and have some slack for access. I am sure it would be better to have the DVD player on a rack next to the TV, but if I did that the rack would be in front of my tower speaker.

Also, I failed to mention in my original post that the Monster salesman that told me I could only get a 2 meter component cable advised me that the reason for that is because the signal would degrade too much beyond 2 meters, and Monster does not recommend distance beyond 2 meters. I didn''t want to hack on the Best Buy guy when I asked HTF for advice, but the post from Glauco with the links to Monster tells me that the guy needs hacking! The salesman from HH Gregg advised me to get 3-20'audio cables to use as component cables. He thought the "matched" cable stuff was just advertising mumbo jumbo.

I really appreciate everyones help. What did people do before forums like this??? I can't imagine . . .

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Try some of these custom cable makers can provide what you need.Superior perfromance for less compared with Monster.They can all make cables in any length needed.

KustomKables.com (Canare)

Rhinocables.com (Belden)

CScables.com (Canare)

Cobaltcable.com (Canare)

Heartlandcables.com (Canare)

Wickedcables.com (Canare/Belden)

10. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor