Newbie Cable Help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brad_klein, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Brad_klein

Brad_klein Auditioning

Ive been lurking on here for a little while and now I need some help. I bought my TV almost a year ago and the guy I got it from told me he would get me a deal on the cables im still waiting!!!

I have some knowledge of hooking things up but im not sure which cables to get (what ever I get will be through Blue Jean). The way the room is laid out I have the TV and cable box on one side of the room and the receiver, DVD, CD, PS2, and computer on the other side and the cables that connect to the TV have to go around a vaulted ceiling and will be 75' long.
    My component list:
    Mitsubishi 48" HDTV 48515 just about anything connects to it
    Comcast Cable HD box DVI, SVideo, comp and RCA out and optical audio out
    DVD Sony DVP S5300 Component, Svideo, RCA audio out Digital out and optical coax
    Receiver Sony STRDE895 TV & DVD Component in and 1 out S video ins and outs and a bunch of digital ins

So with all that am I on the right track
    1 DVI for TV and Cable box 3'
    1 RCA audio Cable box to receiver 75'
    1 Component receiver to TV 75'
    1 Component DVD to receiver 3'
    1 Svideo PS2 to Receiver 3'
    the CD and computer are RCA so thats easy and all the speaker cable is hooked up

Any help or advice would be great
    Thanks
    Brad Klein

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Not sure about what issues you may run into with the lengths, but I can tell you that you are missing all of your digital audio connections. You need digital connections (optical audio or digital coaxial, depending on your receiver/dvd/cable box/ps2 connections) between your source devices and your receiver. Without them, you can't get 5.1 digital audio and that's the whole point of this exercise! [​IMG]

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

You're running all the video through the AVR but I don't see any need for it. I would only run the video through the AVR if you were using it for switching, example: you have three sources all with component video output so you run them to the AVR since the TV only has one component input. And 75' runs are really long.

4. Brad_klein

Brad_klein Auditioning

I have a digital imput thats marked TV on the receiver I also have a in for a CD and a in and out for MD/tape there is also a coax for the DVD. So I would run a digital cable from the box to the recevier a coax from the DVD to the receiver the PS2 can use rca's its not used a whole lot.

For the video the TV has 1 HDMI, 2 Component, 3 rca inputs. So what your saying is run a componet from the DVD to the TV and a rca or svideo from the PS2 to the TV and a rca from the computer to the TV or would it be easier to run those last two into the receiver and use it to switch between them so I would only have to run one set to the TV.

I think im starting to understand thanks for your help and replies

Brad

5. Charlie Campisi

Dick, based on where his equipment is located, I think it makes sense to use the receiver to switch video and minimize the number of long runs to one video and one audio. The cable box is located near the tv so that's a short run, but the ps2, computer and dvd are more easily switched through the receiver, no?

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Except that the cable box is with the TV which either means a long run to switch it or it becomes an exception to the "everything thru the AVR". And the "one video run to the TV" is only true if all inputs at the AVR are the same type or the AVR does conversion. In that case, yep, it makes sense to do it with the minimum of cables.

7. Charlie Campisi

I agree. He can also buy a good universal remote to handle the switching duties for about the same price as it would cost to run a set of component/audio or hdmi the 75' from the cable box to the receiver. Altho, that switching would be complicated since the universal would have to be pointed alternately at the front and back of room. Not a good solution on further reflection. Brad, I think you either need to move the cable box or the rest of your components so that they are in the same location for the easiest solution to your switching issue. There are probably some RF/IR repeaters that could work as well. As Dick said, you should also make sure that your receiver will switch between various types of video connections.

8. Brad_klein

Brad_klein Auditioning

So what you guys are saying if im running component wires from my DVD and a svideo from the PS2 into the AVR I would have to run both those to the TV? I really like having the AVR out of sight and the cable box is low and looks like a clock so it disapears when watching a movie, I was also told the HDMI cable was large and expensive and would want the cable box close to the TV. So would this work (if im reading you right)

HDMI to TV from cable Dig audio to AVR
    Copmponent to AVR from DVD Dig Audio to AVR
    RCA to AVR from PS2 dig audio to AVR
    RCA to AVR from computer - only has RCA outputs
    Component to TV from AVR
    RCA to TV from AVR

This way seems like I only have to run 1 extra cable and I can use my AVR for switching for everything but the cable that would have to be done through the TV.

I was planning on a uni remote and this TV has Netcommand that works like a IR repeater would a remote like a Harmony control this feature? (maybe have to email Logitech)

Thanks again you have been very helpful

Brad

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    (Emphasis added)

Why do need digital audio from the cable box to the AV receiver, and analog audio from the TV to the receiver (I assume that’s what that last item is)? If the cable box is acting as the tuner for all your programming, then an audio send from it to the AVR is all you need.

Also, is HDMI giving you any visible improvement over component video (assuming the cable box has component)? If not, I’d put the cable box over with the rest of the gear. That way everything goes to a single input on the TV and you don’t have to change the TV’s input when you want to switch between cable and everything else.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Brad_klein

Brad_klein Auditioning

Yeah you read it right, I just wrote it kinda wrong I would run a analog video to the TV not audio. Now if I read the other post right if I run a component(DVD) and a analog(PS2) to the AVR I will have to run both to the TV and have to switch anyways. Plus I built a rack and the cable box wont fit [​IMG]

Thanks
    Brad

11. Brad_klein

Brad_klein Auditioning

I plan on ordering my cables today but I had one last question on the optical audio. I can only find the Toslink cable in 50' but I have found an adapter that lets you link up 2 cables to make a longer cable but would 75' be to long? I could buy the 50' and run it behind the baseboard and over a door but it would be easier to go through the attic, but wanted to ask

Thanks
    Brad