What's new

Newbie buying new stereo (1 Viewer)

Hammer

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Morning everyone. I have what should be a simple question for you folks. My 23 year old Harmon Kardon has given up the ghost and so i want to buy a new stereo which will never have more than 2 speakers. Not having bought anything new in 23 years i am not up on all this 5.1 and 7.1 technology. My question is i am looking at a Denon AVR689 receiver which delivers 80 watts per channel and is listed as a 7.1 receiver. This would be driving a pair of Klipsch RB61 speakers rated at 80 watts /400watts peak per channel. Is this a wise buy or is it overkill with buying a 7.1 system.? Do they not sell basic 2 channel receivers anymore? Thats it. Thanks for any answers you can provide.
John

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Many companies still sell 2 channel stereos. HK is one of them.

If you are only going to have 2 speakers, you might want to find a multichannel receiver that has a "phantom" mode. This will simulate a center channel. It actually sounds pretty good in the sweet spot.

Hammer

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thank you for your reply Buckethead78. I took the plunge and bought the Denon. Although i was disappointed not to see any tone control knobs or loudness button on the machine. I hope i can figure out how to pull some more bass out of it.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks