What's new

Newbie buying first receiver - Please help! (1 Viewer)

bucktown

Auditioning
Real Name
Bucky
I am writing because I am a novice in these parts, piecing together my first home entertainment system. I'm pretty much set; I just need a receiver to finish the puzzle. But what a search! I started with a 42" Panasonic Viera TH-42PX85U and have been very pleased with the picture. So much so, that I believe Panasonic put so much effort into the picture, that they forgot about the internal speaker system. No matter, it was just an excuse to buy a surround sound set. So I found some Polk Audio RM705 5.1 speakers at the Circuit City going out of business sale for 50% off. But now I am forced to get a receiver and am racking my brain with all the choices! So I thought somebody might be able to help me with his or her knowledge. I have the panasonic tv, which is hooked up to a ps3 (which also doubles for my blu-ray and dvd player) and a wii. I don't have cable or satellite, just mainly watch movies through netflix. I also don't want to spend more than $300. I found a Yamaha RX-V463 for $230, a Sony STR-DG520 for $150, and an Onkyo TX-SR506 for $215. Also, my friend who works for Sony said he could get a deal on a Sony STR-DG820 for $250. Also, I think a lot of new models are coming out in a couple of weeks. Should I wait for one of those? Or out of all of these, is there one that I should purchase far and away? Or perhaps none of these?

Also, on a side note, do I need a power conditioner for all of this equipment? Or are those things just a scam? I read many conflicting stories, so right now I'm just using a run of the mill surge protector. If I do need one, could you recommend the cheapest model I would need? Thanks so much!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since you have a PS3 you should get a receiver that accepts LPCM via HDMI to take advantage of the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master-Audio sound formats. I'm not sure if the Yamaha 463 does, I know the Onkyo 506 doesn't and don't think the Sony 520 does either. I'd go for an Onkyo 576 which has Audyssey DynamicEQ room correction. You can get a factory refurb with warranty form ac4l.com for $249 plus shipping. Or the Sony 720/820 if you must.I would say a power conditioner isn't needed unless you have serious electrical problems. A good quality surge protector should be fine. The most important thing is to have all equipment turned off and un-plugged while hooking it all up. Then plug them into the surge protector, turn the surge protector on, then turn on the equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks