What's new

Newbie Buying Complete System - Need Your Help (1 Viewer)

Rob_M_R_L

Auditioning
Hello, everyone. I'm brand new to the world of home-theater entertainment and have been doing a lot of research on my first system. I would like to get you guys' opinion on the following configuration:

TV: Sony 36XBR800 ($2,000)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR800 ($1,000)
Speakers - Zone 1: Acoustic Research HC6 ($400)
In-Ceiling Speakers - Zone 2-3: B&W CCM20 ($400)
DVD Changer: Sony DVP-NC685V ($250)

I would like to stay on $4,000 range for everything. I also will use the system a lot for music, more so than DVDs. I am interested in how you see all these components working together….

Any feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

PS: Sorry if I posted in the wrong place… I didn’t see a “general” forum for all the help I need (TV, receiver, speakers, and DVD)

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome Rob,
I can't tell you much about how your components will work together. All I can really do is tell you my thoughts if it were my money I was spending.
First- the price of your tv (36"?) is in the range of some of the more inexpensive front projectors. IMHO nothing immerses you in the movie experience like a huge picture, assuming you have a place for a screen and projector.
Second-Your receiver is a good choice, but I think you are cheating yourself badly on speakers. There is no way a set of 5 speakers (or 6 if the sub woofer is included)priced at 400 can be in the same quality universe as your receiver. If it were me, I think I might look at a slightly less expensive receiver (ie. Marantz SR-6200 @ $800), leave the zone 2 and 3 speakers till later and have $1000 to spend on speakers for the main system. The Marantz is a very nice unit (I have one) that is rated at 105watts X 6 with all 6 channels driven, unlike most that are rated with one channel driven, so it really is an overachiever compared to units with similar specs.
Finally, if the front projection isn't an option, I might consider saving a little money on the TV as well to upgrade the speakers. Unless a 36" 4:3 display is all you will ever want. But with HD beginning to be available in many areas, I can see where you might want to upgrade again before long.
Also, many front projectors have HD resolution, even some of the inexpensive ones are very near HD. ie. 680 lines vs. 720 for HD. Standard TV is 480.
In the end, you know what your priorities are and your limitations due to space, room construction and WAF.
Good Luck and enjoy your new HT.

Steve

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I agree, my 61" rear projection HD was less than $2000. I would spend a bit more on your main speakers right now and then get your rears a little later. Also, my friend has that Marantz receiver and he really likes it. Just my .02:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks