Newbie AVR310 hook up problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe_Romano, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Joe_Romano

Joe_Romano Auditioning

Hey guys this may be a stupid question, but I got my new H/K AVR310 from Ubid today and of course hooked it up well everything works great except I get no video from my dvd player. Let me clarify this though the VCR, cablebox, and monitor out are all hooked up with composite connections, while my dvd which is coming from my computer for now (tight budget)is hooked up using a s-video cable and composite audio off the dvd's special card. I know this is not a great set-up but for now it has to do. Anyway I get video when s-video is hooked directly to tv but when routed through AVR310 no video. Do I need to change the monitor out to s-video or do I have a problem with my reciever?

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Welcome to HTF Joe.....that's not a stupid question at all.

If you're using S-video to the receiver, you'll also need to use S-video from the receiver to your TV....the receiver can't convert one type of video to another.

Being that you have both composite (VCR, cable box) and S-video (DVD) sources you're going to need both composite video and S-video from your receiver to your TV. Keep in mind though that if your TV doesn't have two separate video inputs you won't be able to have both composite and S-video connected at the same time.....the S-video will override the composite.

Vin

3. Joe_Romano

Joe_Romano Auditioning

Vin,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought the problem was I just wanted to check and make sure I have since hooked the dvd up using composite connection and all is fine. Thankx again

4. Han

Han Second Unit

Sorry to slap this on, but since I have an HK 310...

Anyone have a problem setting the receiver's display brightness? Going through the settings and changing the level (I think the parameter is VFD or something like that) to half bright, it reverts back to full brightness when I turn the receiver off and back on. This is even after saving the settings.

I noticed another couple of oddities on the 310. Volume can be way off when going from one input to another. Like if I have it at 25 for TV or DVD, if I switch to CD, that 25 is way too loud (whether analog or optical). The other problem I've had is the Logic-7 tends to be screwy on certain 80s cable movies and the UPN network. Rear speakers spew a lot of static in Logic-7.

Anyway, I've learned to work around or deal with these issues since it's a great product for the low U-Bid price I paid for it. Just wondering if others have had the same quirks.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I've got the same problem with the display brightness myself. And I have noticed some source volume differences, but I always just chalked it up to differences between the sources themselves.
    I've been very happy with my avr310, and I especially love it's plethora of inputs and on-screen display.
    -Aaron