Newbie audio question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tom Del, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Tom Del

Tom Del Auditioning

I have an inexpensive KLH DVD player; connected to a sherwood receiver with digital optical cable. Works great in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, but when playing a mono or non-surround DVD the audio cuts out for a fraction of a second every few seconds. Really annoying.

If I switch the audio on the DVD player to PCM this popping goes away.

Is there a problem with my connections or hardware?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I have heard of this problem with using the wrong cable for the coaxial-digital connection, but it's not common with an optical connection.

Can you try a different optical cable or even switch to a coaxial-digital connection (use an old video cable)?

Since it works fine with ordinary DD disks, it could be the player. It sounds like it has trouble with older 'classic' films in 1.0 dolby. I can see where the company would test with the more recent movies and may not have done regression tests with some of the old Madacy disks.

3. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Tom, what Sherwood reciever do you have? I too am using a Sherwood, model #6108. Also, what do you have your DVD player set on? Try using a coaxial cable to the Digital input, if that fixed the problem, then it was the optical cable. It may just end up being the disks your using since it works ok in DD. Good Luck. [​IMG][​IMG]