Newbie At Seperates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AbelM, Jan 5, 2002.

1. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok, I just got a Marantz reciever (SR 5 or 8 20, I think its the model #) and an amp (is that what you call a big box that plugs into the reciever) from a friend last night (He just upgraded everyhting he had to all seperates, and gave me his old stuff, which is about 2 yrs old). Ok, here at this point and time I am totally a newbie, I have no idea what this is all for or anything, so here's my questions:

1. What is an amp? Is that the big box thing?

2. What does an amp do?

3. What's the point in having an amp if you have the reciever?

4. Does the reciever plug into this, if so, for what?

5. Should I leave this on all the time? How do I go about turning it on, or off...

and finally:

6. It looks the same as the back of my reicever with speaker wire connectors, what for? How do I connect all of this? Sub too...

***Also is this called a Pre/Pro Set-up?***

2. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Was wrong to say this...got liquered up and was messed up, please forgive me: Everyone
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :b

3. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Was wrong to say this...got liquered up and was messed up, please forgive me: Everyone :b [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Hard to believe a guy with 119 post on this forum doesn't know what an amp is!

5. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

first of all, based on the info you gave about the "big black box" having speaker connections on the back, yes it's probably an amplifier...

second, an amplifier is used to power your speakers, it takes a "line level" connection from a device that outputs a "line level" signal (RCA,XLR)

third, what is the use of an amplifier if you already have a reciever? An amplifier will provide your speakers with cleaner and better power than the reciever will be able to... try em both out, you'll notice a huge difference...

and last how do you hook all this up?

the reciever and amplifier should plug into the wall, not into eachother. get some RCA cables and run them between the "pre-amp outputs" on the back of your reciever to the "inputs" on your amplifier, and then hook your speakers up to the amplifier NOT the reciever... (the reciever sends a signal to the amplifier via the RCA's and the amplifier provides the speakers with power)

if you need any more help, just ask...

6. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

>>>Why don't you guys' ever help me?

>>>Why won't you guys' help me, there has been 40 some freakin people looking at this, and no one has seperates?

Abel I've seen many of your posts recently and I've got to say that you are a bit pushy when you do not get an answer to your post right away. I'm sure that you are a nice guy but here is a couple of pieces of advice.

First off with comments like these that you have made you are more likely going to piss people off instead of getting them to help you. Sometimes people just don't respond to posts right away.

Second you are in California so while it is midnight there it is 3:30am in the east so the traffic here is not that heavy right now.

Third, if you do not get a response in the time frame that you expect there is a SEARCH function that will help you locate posts that may give you the information that you are looking for.

7. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    True?

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Another thing Abel, is that sometimes people do respond to you and you never check back and say thanks or anything. Just the other day you posted the same question here and in the TV and Projectors area. Many people gave you great answers in the Hardware section that went unnoticed. I can't speak for everyone but maybe if you seemed a little more grateful instead of saying "Why won't you damn people help me" you would get more responses.

Anyhow, your questions:

9. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Abel,

You have been a member on this forum for less than 2 weeks, yet you have already got a bad reputation.

Take the advice Dan gave you!

Also, on your profile, your occupation is listed as HT setup designer. Please tell me HT does not stand for Home Theater...

10. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Well, I am very sorry guys, really. I was a little topsy last night, and I just wanted an answer...you know how you get if you have a little too much Rum and Vodka.
    So first off let me say I am very sorry...Please forgive me, and that I had no intention of ever being not a nice person to all of you helpful people. I really meant nothing buy any of this crap up above. If I was sober, I would have never of done any of this, I swear.
    Now:
    Alan Pummill said, "You have been a member on this forum for less than 2 weeks, yet you have already got a bad reputation."
    When did I ever have a bad reputation...just because on one topic I got mad when I was drunk, I now have a bad reputation? Please look into this furhter, as no meaning of dis-respect here...[​IMG]
    Dan Hine said, "Another thing Abel, is that sometimes people do respond to you and you never check back and say thanks or anything."
    This is very far from the truth. Most of the time (roughly 90%) I always come back on and reply with an "Thank You", ask CollinM, Neil, or Sean. They help me out tons, and every time they reply I say, "Thanx, understand now" or "I have one more question, please"
    And...
    Zane Johnson, Thank You so much as to replying to my thread about this...I wasn't quite sure what all to do...Please excuse/forgive my ignorance up above in previous posts, and to my knowledge...[​IMG] I just have one question though for you, is what I have now, called a pre/pro set-up? A reciever and an amp?
    TedO said, "Hard to believe a guy with 119 post on this forum doesn't know what an amp is!"
    Like I told Zane, please forgive my ignorance in knoledge, I hardly know anythign about these types of set-ups, such as the topic said "Newbie At Seperates". Again, I just got into this HT stuff, like spending good money on spakers and receivers not too long ago. And then all fo a sudden a friend gives me an amp and a recever...I didn't know anything [​IMG]
    Sorry to all...Please forgive me, and I ask that all of you reply back here, either accepting my apology or not...I atleast want to know, if that is ok. Seriously, I got drunk, and came on here, didn't mean to cause anything...really [​IMG]

11. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Thanks for the apology, Able. It is hard to tell ones mental state on-line.

Still interested to know what "HT set-up designer" means!

12. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Hey Alan, Thanx man, except it is Abel, I am not a 'state of doing something'; Able, lol [​IMG]
    I also put that on there when I was overkill, my job consists of working at CC...heh.

13. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Abel,
    It's cool man. I doubt most of us were trying to come off as rude. We're just trying to help you out some.

14. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Dan Hine & Everyone,
    I appreciate your reply man. Seriously, I hope everyone I effended (sp) will reply to this. I am glad you didn't take it too much, it's just the way I am sometimes, but from now on, I will just wait gladly...or use the search engine

15. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

bump [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

Since I was in on this thread Abel just want to say that I was trying to nicely tell you that you need to chill. Most people here will be glad to help you out if you are patient.

I have learned more on this and other forums using the search function than anything else which is why I don't post too often. The search box is on the bottom right of each page. Sometimes it is hit or miss and changing one or two words will give you totally different results.

17. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yo Abel -

You still have questions?

18. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

Ok Collin and the Helpers out there:

Is this right:?

So I take the power cord from the amp to the wall.

Then a cable (what kind, what is it called) that goes from the reciever to the amp.

I then take all of my speaker cables and hook them up to the amp instead of the reciever?

Then what about the sub? It is a powered subwoofer with an LFE connection. I'm not sure if the amp has one or not, but I'll look...If not, how do I do this?

And you said it didn't hurt to leave it on (the amp), right?

There is some type of frequency setting, what is this for?

That's about it for now...!

19. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Abel,

Once you have your PRE/PRO outputs attached to your AMP inputs, you have a receiver!!!

All the inputs go to the PRE/PRO and the speaker outputs connect to the AMP. The LFE for the sub and Video outputs come from the PRE/PRO.

Keep things in perspective. This isn't that hard!

Joe

20. AbelM

AbelM Second Unit

"Keep things in perspective. This isn't that hard!"
    Thanx Joseph for putting my spirit and enthusiasm down...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]