What's new

Newbie Any suggestions on a Used Sub Under $175.00 that wil.............. (1 Viewer)

M Anderson

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Anderson
Newbie Any suggestions on a Used Sub Under $175.00 that wil compliment my system.:P Cambridge soundworks Surround system 5.1 MC 305's Left, rights and Center. S 300's Rear's No Sub. Yamaha RX V367 Reciever. Small room about 10'x12' High ceilings Hard plaster walls (no sheet rock) No insulation. Hardwood floor 90% television use. 10% Music. My Music is only 1960's Rock and Some Classical. (never any Hip Hop, Rap or Boom Boom Music) Clarity and accuracy is most important. I listen to TV at low to moderate volume and Music Moderate only with occasionl loud. I was thinking something about 10 years old front driver at 10" inches self powered. Maybe a composite fiber Driver. Read most previous posts and am a bit overwhelmed with the info. Thank you Very Much:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome to HTF :) Not sure why you would need used when you can get a new one that will likely outperform a 10yr old model that is more likely to fail than not. Used is not a bad way to go, but the older the sub, the more likely the chance of issues in my experience, mainly the amplifiers. This one is $129 and ships free: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629 The 10" model is $109 and also ships free. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-628

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Mark, welcome to HTF! I hope someone here can answer your questions. You are definitely in the right section.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Was going to mention that one too, but it was recently just over $200. Currently just $188 on Amazon though. http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

M Anderson

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Anderson
Thank you all for your suggestions.:) I am still a bit confused. I appreciate what John Garcia says about used amps being a risk. However, Do all of you agree that a $100.00 Dayton or a $200.00 Bic will out perform a 15 year old entry level Klipsch I could get on Ebay for about $175.00? Also, would the Dayton and bic compliment and blend nicley with my Cambridge soundworks? Thanks again Big learning curve!:P

M Anderson

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Anderson
I know that for such short money, I should just buy one of the suggested units and stop wasting everyones time but I am learning here. Now when I was a teenager back in the early 70's I used to buy the biggest paper speaker I could afford and put it in a plywood box. I was always under the impression that Paper Woofers gave the best sound or even better a composite natural fiber material. These Daytons and Bics appear to be some sort of poly material. Would I be better off spending another $50.00 and get a composite fiber Driver?:confused: THX

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That was the 70s :) Though putting a driver in a box to get sound is still much the same, the technologies that are used to do it have advanced considerably. Yes, paper is an excellent driver material because it is light making it fast and very neutral sound wise. For a sub, that is less important though, because the frequencies it will be playing are low enough that it has less of an influence on the sound as compared to the midrange/vocal frequency range. The advantage of polypro or even aluminum cones is that they are more rigid to maintain their shape as they move better.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The strongest and most popular cone material is kevlar impregnated paper pulp. Dan Wiggins posted pictures of himself standing on an inverted cone and it would hold him up. Rarely do $175 subs have aluminum cones. A good driver with an aluminum cone starts at $150. My subs use titanium cones. The less expensive subs with metallic cones are really poly with a metallic paint on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks