What's new

Newbie And In Need Of SERIOUS Help (Big Thread) (1 Viewer)

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Well I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the world of HT.
I recently bought a Pioneer XV-HTD520 Home Theatre In A Box, Used. It came with no manual or speakers. I will build the speakers myself, matching the OEM speakers as closely as possible.

However my main problem lies in the fact that there are a bunch of features and menu items/settings that I do not understand. Some of them may be player specfiec, but I will break it down into catagories and perhaps someone here will know what I'm talking about and be able to help me out.
Alternativly if anyone owns this unit as well, it may be possible to scan the manual for me, which i would greatly appreciate.
But on with the questions that i have.

This unit has:
Surround Mode
DSP Mode
Sound Mode
CD Mode (Button)

The questions are as follows:

In The Surround Mode Menu I have;

Auto
Musical
Drama
Standard
Action
Virtual Surround 1/2
Rear Wide
What do these do to the sound?

In The DSP Mode Menu I have;

Hall 1/2
Jazz
Dance
Theatre 1/2
Simulated Stereo
Effect (Ranges from 10 - 90 and is only available when DSP is on)
What do these do and how does it correlate to the sourround mode/other sound modes?

In The Sound Mode Menu I Have;

P.Bass
Record Mode
Midnight Mode
(When toying with record mode and turning it on/off, i have to restart/open the DVD player to get it to play DVD's again.... same with the CD Mode whatever that is)
What do these functions do/what are they?

In the "System Setup" i have;

LFE (Off/ATT 0/ATT 10)
What Does this Do and how does it affect the sound in the sub? (I can also adjust the bass up to +3dB, and adjust the Sub channel up to +10dB seperatly)

D.R.C Mode, (Off/Low/Mid/High) What is this?
L-Ch1 R-Ch2/Ch1/Ch2/Mix. What does this do?
"FRT SP/CTR SP/SUR SP x.x m" what does this do? I know it has something to do with Front,Center And Surround, beyond that Im lost.

This is also a Dolby Digital/Pro Logic/DTS Decoder. is there a way to switch between these, or is it pretty much disc specfic?

I'm sorry if this doesnt make sense to anyone who doesnt own one of these units, but it has so many damn menus/functions/options that i simply do not understand.
since i do not have speakers as of yet i cannot tell how it will sound when certain settings are changed... so im hoping (guessing) that alot of these settings show up on other systems as well.

Thank you to anyone who can offer any type of help with this...does anyone else own one of these handy little units?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
is this an older product?

i checked the pioneer website but couldn't find any info on this unit.

you may want to contact pioneer directly. they may be able to send you the owners manual. you may have to pay for it, but hey...whaddya going to do?

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
AAHHHH FER FUCK SAKE..... i (tried) to post the URL for that unit, and it deleted my my reply when i came back.... now the entire post is gone damnit.

FUCK..... i will type it again later... it was long too.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I found a page that gave a lot more info than the rest i have found.... so my last (long) post is kind if un-important anyway.
It shows that some of the speakers are 6 Ohms, however on the back of the unit it has a little box that basically says all speakers are 8 Ohms. However i may have read it wrong and im not gonna pull the unit out right now to check it.

Amplifier :
Front: 115 watts RMS per channel (1kHz, 10% THD, 8 ohms) Rear: 52 watts RMS per channel (1kHz, 10% THD, 6 ohms) Center: 52 watts RMS (1kHz, 10% THD, 6 ohms) Subwoofer: 114 watts RMS (100Hz, 10% THD, 8 ohms)

Front Speakers:
Frequency Range: 50Hz to 20kHz
Maximum Input: 115 watts
Weight: 4 lbs. 7 oz.
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms

Center Speaker:
Frequency Range: 70Hz to 20kHz
Maximum Input: 52 watts
Weight: 2 lbs. 3 oz.
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms

Rear Speakers:
Frequency Range: 150Hz to 20kHz
Maximum Input: 52 watts
Weight: 1 lbs. 12 oz.
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms

Subwoofer:
Frequency Range: 30Hz to 2kHz
Maximum Input: 115 watts
Weight: 10 lbs. 9 oz.
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
So if im going to build my own speakers im guessing that it would be best to get speakers that have the same freq. ranges right? I will be using a "Phoenix Gold Octane R12d" as my sub (Powered)

Also how good/bad would it be to make my own cables (audio/video) using radio shack "tips" and regular RG59 cable?

anything i should know about doing this?

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Not that im trying to be rude or anything, cause this is a great place, but there are lot of members here... why does it take so long for someone to reply?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it's just the way it goes sometimes. some threads go for pages and pages, while others get zero replies. it's just one of the dynamics here.

bob gave some excellent advice, which you can use as a starting point. if you have specific questions, i recommend you go to the relevant forum (speakers, diy, etc.) there...you can expand on your questions.

it sounds like you still want to diy (speakers and cabling), so i recommend you start with the diy forum.

anyway, good luck.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Not trying to pick at you but
AAHHH FER FUCK SAKE & Fuck..... I will type it again later ext ext
I don't think you will earn to many peoples respect here when every other post is contious cussing. Just a word of advice tone it down you may get better results.
Again not trying t offend you or anything just making a suggestion.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you will earn to many peoples respect here when every other post is contious cussing. Just a word of advice tone it down you may get better results.
Again not trying t offend you or anything just making a suggestion.
No offense taken, I just dont realize i do it sometimes, i kind of type like i speak sometimes, and as im new here im not used to the way people do things... most other boards are worse.
i apoligize for the language if i have offended anyone.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Also how good/bad would it be to make my own cables (audio/video) using radio shack "tips" and regular RG59 cable?

anything i should know about doing this?
This site about A Really easy way to make your own cables is one of the best. You will notice that many of the custom cable sites use a very similar formula.

Also, we have a DIY and Advanced Topics fourm with others who have built their own subwoofers and speakers. I suggest you do some reading, then ask questions about specific parts that you dont understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks