Newbie and his system.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Eftekari, Jul 26, 2001.

1. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

Hi I just registered here yesterday and thought I would introduce myself and give you guys the low down on my budget system. Well I'm only 19 so I can't afford some of the nice fancy systems you guys have but in working on it!
    Here is a pic of my current system.
    http://home.cox.rr.com/darius/DSC00147.jpg
    In mid August I will be replacing the TV with a 32FV27 Sony Wega and I will be buying a new stand.
    The speakers and sub are an all in one system that only cost me 500 dollars, I know I could do better buying separate components but my budgets not that much and I will be taking these into an apartment so I don't want something to loud! This is the Panasonic SC-HT280 system, I enjoy it, it does 6x100 watts, the 6th channels the sub, its not self powered. My DVD drive is a Sony S360, I will probably end up replacing this with a Panasonic RV-31 later this year. The CD player is a Sony CP345. And of course the PlayStation 2 with GT3 and a Sega Dreamcast! The CD/DVD/and PS2 are hooked up by optical cables. I know its not much but I enjoy! Hopefully 4 years from now when I'm out of college I can get something much nicer.

2. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Great set up James! I wish I had that type of gear when I was your age! How do you like your PS2? I love mine for games but haven't had much of a chance to try it out with movies. How about GT3? Do you think it's worth the bucks to buy? Again, great start James and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of friendly folks with lots of useful information. I'm sure you love it [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Please visit my site at http://rickshometheater.homestead.com/HomePage.html

3. James Eftekari

James Eftekari Auditioning

If you like the first 2 then its worth it, even if you've never played GT1 and 2 I believe it to be a worth while purchase. THe PS2/GT3 bundle is only 329.99, of course then you want a memory card and a S-Video or Component cable. GT3 also supports 16:9 and I believe it outputs a true anamorphic signal(Not sure though, cant test that on my current tv)

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Nice set-up James. I think we both have the same TV. Nice system though.
    -Keith-

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Nice setup! [​IMG] I'm 19 as well (well, i turn 19 any day now [​IMG] ), I don't have any pictures of my setup but it's basically:
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-V496
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-RV31 dvd player
    TV: Panasonic 27D11 TV
    Universal Remote: Radio Shack 15-1994 (love this thing)
    Wires: Acoustic Research S-Video, Monster Cable Optical, 12 gauge speaker wire
    Mains: Paradigm Titans
    Center: Paradigm CC-150
    Surrounds: Paradigm Atoms
    Subwoofer: Paradigm PDR-10 (10")
    unfortunately I don't have a PS2, but sometimes I hook the tv-out on my video card and play PC games on the bigger screen. I am incredibly tempted to pick up the PS2/GT3 combo...must...resist....urges... [​IMG]
    Like you, I am also looking forward to getting out of college and upgrading. Mmmmm..dual SVS... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    -Adam
    (a.k.a. kami)
    My budding DVD collection

Download a new Jurassic Park DVD cover

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    as a fellow poor college kid desperately wanting great HT performance for a cost less than Ramen noodles, i say welcome. i'm 18 and heading to a dorm in about 3 wks. here's my setup (kinda revolves around the computer):
    TV: 19" Samsung monitor
    DVD: computer Pioneer (i think)
    Speakers: Cambridge SoundWorks Ensamble IV (got them for free)
    Sub: the one in the Ensamble IV, soon to be replaced with a VTF-2 (still deciding though)
    Receiver: Onkyo 595
    DVDs: 35
    Money left after HT and computer: back to the Ramen noodles...
    anyways, i like the setup (esp. that TV), and welcome.
    -thomas

7. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Man when I was 19 my home theater was a 19" tv that i still own. Just think of what this will look like in 10 years.
    Nice setup!!
    ------------------
    Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
    [​IMG] 3EMS Hometheater

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Let's see, when I was 19, I had 2 mono VCR's hooked up to a 19" TV and a stereo receiver. You have a good base and if it sounds good as I'm sure it does then you are ahead of the game. Take your time and upgrade if you want to. This is the place you can ask many questions about specifics.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

When I was 19 I didn't even have a television. I think I was 22 before I could afford my first one--and that was used! My how times have changed...I still can't even look at a package of Ramen noodles, though I have relaxed a little on macaroni & cheese in the intervening 20 years. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    [Edited last by Mark Zimmer on July 27, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

10. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Id just like to say im only 20 (student at University of Florida), just moved outta dorms, and a HT fanatic already.
    Ive only been a member of this board for about a month now and i already have dreams of what my system is going to look like in the next couple months.
    I dont have a bad system now, but it can definately get better.
    Receiver: Technics SA-AX920
    TV: 27" Sony Wega
    DVD: Sony 550D
    Fronts: OLD ASS Fishers (Huge, and dont sound too bad at all)
    Rears and Center: Pioneers (s#ittiest purchase ive ever made)
    Sub: MTX car sub powered by a plate amp (sounds great if you ask me)
    Well, Im looking to add an Onkyo Integra, or waiting for one of those eBay Denon3300 Receievers to hit a low price.
    Also, Im looking into a set of Mission Speakers.
    Im sure itll take me years and years to get exactly what I want.
    And Richard_T,I think that pull-up extendedable coffee table is just badass. I gotta get me one of those.
    Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

11. Ryan_B

Ryan_B Agent

Well, I'm only 20 years old and I think i've got a decent rig right now (been building it since I was 18). I currently own:
    Toshiba 27" w/Component Inputs
    Toshiba SD1700 DVD
    PS2 W/ GT3 and Component Cables
    Atlantic Technology 250.1 Speakers
    Velodyne 12" (cheapie one from Circuit City)
    Onkyo 595
    So, Keep going guys, it keeps getting better all the time. Of course I've been on a strictly ramen diet for the past 3 years, but at least I know where my priorities lie! (J/K).
    And yes, GT3 is worth EVERY PENNY IT TAKES!! The game is absolutely AWESOME. I don't ususally like racing games, but this one is simply amazing to me. Go play a store demo and you will see what I mean.
    ------------------
    We are living in a mental transformation space; that is, an omnidimensional halo expanding toward infinity in all directions. And the electronic center of this halo of mentation is possibly everywhere. It is all available to you right where you are sitting now. Just plug in a terminal. The machine doesn't care who or what you are.
    -Robert Anton Wilson
    From the book: Right Where You Are Sitting Now

12. Rich Corle

Rich Corle Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm 15 and have a pretty nice home theater. I got a 32 inch GE TV, that looks pretty good despite the brand. I have the Toshiba SD-1700 player with anamorphic squeeze, so even on my 4:3 TV, i see absolutely no distortion. I have the JVC DS-TP350 5.1 system around the room. Got the playstation2 digitally hooked up to the reciever. Took lots of hardwork to get this system and I am very happy to have it at my age.

13. Nathan Crowell

Nathan Crowell Auditioning

Ah, this reminds me of the good old days when I was only 19...two years ago. I had two huge old pioneer speakers, an 1990s vintage Denon receiver, a big Sansui receiver from the 70s (stable down to 2 ohms stereo!) and two JL Audio 12W0s in a 6.0 cubic foot ported box. I used a rat shack eq to lowpass the subs. And all for $150... Nauseating bass down to about 25 hz in a dorm room. It would modulate your voice when turned up loud enough.

14. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I'm 19 now, and have been saving up to complete a home theater for years, from carrying papers as a kid to having a part time job after classes these days, I've been hiding cash away until I had enough, and it's finally starting to pay off, all Paradigm baby [​IMG]
    Monitor 5's v2 up front
    Mini Monitor v2 as rears
    CC-370 center
    PW-2200 sub
    Denon 1802 or Marantz Sr5200 (still haven't decided, has to be ordered very soon)
    RCA 32" TV (saving up for a 40" widescreen, *maybe* by Xmas 2002, if I'm lucky.
    Not too shabby, nothing compared to many of your super systems, but I'm damn proud of it [​IMG]