What's new

Newbie and 7.1 Speaker Recommendations (1 Viewer)

EYESPORTS

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
I am looking for speaker advice/recommendation. Newly constructed home - have a family room that's 25 ft x 22 ft x 9 foot ceilings with wood (oak) floor. I have prewired so that I'll have 3 speakers center and 2 sides) by the entertainment/audio unit and then have 2 ceiling over sitting area plus 2 behind sitting area (for 7.1). I was considering the Paradigm series. I'm going to have a large DLP TV, a Denon receiver (probably the 2807 but maybe the 3805)and the SVS PB12 (or 10?) sub-woofer. I'm looking for recommendations on the 4 overhead speakers and the 3 up front. Also not sure of bipole vs. dipole. Appreciate your help on speaker selection. Thanks.

RickTop

Grip
I just went with a Paradigm performance combo: Phantom fronts, Atom surrounds, and the CC-170 center. i spent considerable time looking at the monitor line but just didn't have the money. in my opinion, the monitor line sounds better than their studio line. you will also like their in-wall speakers. they sound really good. you can compare Paradigms to much much more expensive speakers and the differences will be negligable.

buy the way: you cant go wrong with SVS. their smallest sub is enough for any job and it just gets better as you go bigger. as soon as i have funds, i will buy the PB-10. that being said, i just bought my first Hsu sub. the STF line is also amazing. i cant believe how much sound that little 8 in driver in the STF-1 puts out. definately sounds like a much larger driver.

scottSR

Auditioning
im new to HT as well and just hooked up my Axiom speakers I have 2 m60's, vp150 center ep175 woofer and 2 sq8's I really dont have any other reference but this system sounds great it is power by a yamaha rx-v2600, all this cost me about 3,200 bucks

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean the side surrounds will be literally over your head? Ummmm, I don't think that's a good idea.

Actually, IMO having any HT speaker nine feet above the listening position AND above people's heads seems like that will result in some wonky sound effects.

I realize there is already wire there for these positions, but if possible I would rethink their locations.

This makes me think of those ads for plasma/LCD flat monitors, where the ad company has them hung up over the fireplace, 4-6 feet above people's natural viewing position. That may look good from a marketing point of view, but in *reality* watching such a TV is going to get really irritating unless everyones chairs recline.

EYESPORTS

Agent
Real Name
Bruce
the surrounds were designed and placed by an AV person - so I'm sure the placement is OK. Just trying to decide the speakers that would fit in with the budget.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Not to get whiny here, but is there something on the walls preventing the speakers from being placed there?

Honestly Bruce, I've never seen any reputable surround authority like THX, Dolby Labs, DTS Entertainment etc ever advise such a speaker configuration.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
This sounds like my set up except mine is 6.1

I have mirage omni-sats mounted up high. They sound great, also I have my plasma mounted above the fire place and it looks great. With my room configuration this is relly the only way I could go.

Edit to say that I use a Denon 4802 to run the set up. I really like the denon Mirage combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks