What's new

newbie Amplifier question (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I am looking to assemble a surround sound system on a budget of about $1500, but i am not really sure which route to go - separates or receiver. I am more concerned about quality sound than power. I would assume that in general, a separate 5 channel amp will sound better than sound from the amps in a receiver.
In your opinion, which of the following options might you expect to sound best for music about 75% & DVD movies about 25% of the time.
1) A receiver e.g. Rotel.
2) A cheaper receiver to be used as a pre/pro along with a separate 5 channel amp (suggestions would be appreciated). e.g. Integra, onkyo
3) A pre/pro such as the Outlaw 950 and an external 5 channel amp
I don't have a TV with component video or s-video yet, but i want a system to support them.
Thanks!
Jack
:confused: :confused:

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'd go with a low cost receiver such as the Denon 1802 and plunge the rest into speakers. This of course assumes that $1500 is your total budget. If it's not your total budget, but only your budget for amplification, I would probably still get a receiver in the $700 to $900 range and spend the extra on better speakers. Just make sure that the receiver you choose has preouts.

The thinking behind this is that speakers, much more than anything else, determine the sound of your system. Spending more on speakers will get you units which can play lower and louder than less expensive speakers.

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

I should have been clearer. The $1500 is for receiver/separates. It does not include my ACI sapphire speakers. Also, it does not include a DVD or CD player or even interconnects – which I have not even thought about yet.

Thanks for your suggestion.

jack

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sony's 5es receiver can be had for less than $800. That would be pretty hard to beat. Then, you could add a pretty good 2 or 3 channel amp for the front speakers if needed.

Seperates for less than $1500 is tough. However, the outlaw 950 ($900) and a used 5 channel amp would be decent as well. Both of these choices would be great.

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Charles,

Thanks for your idea. I have not even considered Sony products, but perhaps I should.

-jack

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
Seperates for less than $1500 is tough
If you are willing to go the used route, then it is no problem at all. I know that is not an option for some people, but for $1000 I was able to put together the following solution, and it is killer!

Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080 pre/pro

Carver TX-806x 6 channel x 133 THX certified amp

I have listened to a lot of A/V receivers, and let me tell you- that combo blows the doors off of all the receivers I have heard in the sub $1500 price range.

Just my thoughts-

Andrew Ballew

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Ebay has a lot of mixed prices and items.
Took me some time before I found my speakers for 60% off retail.
I see a lot of good deals but I know the prices will sky rocket at the last moment due to the inevitable snipers on ebay (ppl who bid a few seconds before auction ends)
Right now I see a Parasound HCA-1205A @ $625
HCA-855a @ 455
HCA-1206 @ 405
Rotel RB-985 @ 315
ATI1505 @ 500
ATI2505 @ 500
Anthem MCA3 3 channel @ 505
Denon AVR-5800 @ 1525
Boy would it be nice to get some of those at the current prices. :) Too bad there's a thing called competition and reserve auctions.
Anyways, I always thought separates was the way to go, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to choosing. For 1500, I'd probably play the auctions a while and try to get separate amps (3 and 2 channel or 5 channel) with a used pre pro, or get an awsome used receiver. Sometimes you can find brand new items.
Some shopping sites i've been to: refurbdepot, pricewatch, ubid, ebay, bestpriceaudiovideo, etronics, resellerratings, audioreview, and audiogon.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Andrew_Ballew is right, his Carver amp is hard to beat if you can find one. I found a Carver AV-705x a year ago at OneCall that was brand new still in an un-opened box for $550. It took the place of my Onkyo receiver and the difference is huge. There are some really great power amps out there for the taking, just keep looking.

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

Thank you so much for your very detailed information about the current offerings on Ebay! I'll check out the other sites you suggested too.

Andrew and Laurence:

I'll have to do some reading up on the Carver offerings and see if I can find any. I thought I heard that Carver i no longer in business, but I guess there's always pre-owned.

I guess the hard part to narrow it down to what I would want - in my price range. Since I have never heard these products, I gues I'll have to go and demo them - if possible. I have no clue whether a Rotel would sound better or parasound etc.

Initially, I was thinking of getting the Rotel RSX 972 receiver (or the forthcoming 1055 which will replace the 972) and no external amps, but based on your advice, for about the same money, I could pick up a new 6.1 Onkyo for around $800 and a used parasound amp for $500 and the consensus is that you think these should sound a lot better than the rotel receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks