What's new

Newbie amp usage question (1 Viewer)

Rob Jo.

Agent
Hi,
I have a Denon 3802 and am thinking about adding a Parasound stereo amp for the main speakers. I use the system for movies as well as music. I want to add the amp for music mainly and to also begin the move to separates. My question is do others who use a receiver for a front end use the amp all the time, or just for music? I mean, with children around, I'm thinking on a Saturday, that the system might run continuously for 12 hours or more. Could this in any way harm the amp to run so long and get hot for that long of a period of time? Pardon me if this is really a stupid question, but if ya don't know, ya gotta ask. :)
Thanks,
Rob

Craig Ball

Second Unit
We'll Rob, I use seperate power amps with my reciever and my kids have mine on all the time too without any problems what so ever. As a matter of fact since adding the amps my reciever never gets hot like it used too, I swear you could fry an egg on it. And as far as leaving your amp on for that long, theres a lot of people on this forum who never shut there amps off because they believe the warmer they are the better they sound.

Craig

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a Denon receiver(3300) with a separate amp and after 6-8 hours of use my amps(Harman Kardon) are only warm, not hot.

You may want to look at the 2205 review thread a lot of discussions are taking place on Parasound amps and there has been some discussions on how warm the parasound amps get.

Rob Jo.

Agent
Thanks Craig and Kevin.

Do you have any other amps to recommend in the price range and quality of the Parasound? Sherbourn, ATI and Anthem come to mind. The problem I have is that I have nowhere locally to listen to these amps, so I neep all the input I can get.

Thanks,

Rob

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the amps you've listed.

I'm not sure what price range your looking at, but you may want to add Rotel, B&K, Acurus, Harman Kardon Signature Series 1.5, Citation and Aragon to your list also.

There's several others, but those are the one's that I can think of at the moment that I've read about at one time or another.

You may want to try audioreview.com and read the reviews posted by owners or people who've tried the products. The other thing would be to do searches on the forum for the one's your interested in. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks