Newbie amp question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne McRae, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Adcom GFA-7400 5x100 amp for my home theater.I would now like to find a 2 channel amp for a 7.1 setup.My questions are,do I have to stay with Adcom?Will another amp sound totally different? I was planning on using the 2 channel for the 2 back surrounds and let the 5 channel run the 3 fronts and the 2 side surrounds.Am I on track here or not? I'll be ordering the Outlaw 950 if it's as good as it sounds.Thanks for any help,this is my first venture into seperates after having a Denon for 4 years.

2. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Wayne,

If you are going to buy a two channel amp for the rears, my suggestion would be to get a good two channel amp for your front two speakers instead. If your going to put out the money anyways you my as well take the opportunity to get a good stereo amp for your towers. You could pick up a adcom gfa-555 200 watt X 2 for around 350.00. The gfa-555 is a classic amp which gets great reviews for the money.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    John's comments make a lot of sense. Try to get a great 2 channel amp for your mains and then use the 5 channels for your surrounds and CC.

Regards

Gregg

4. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

John and Greg,Thanx a lot for your help.I actually found that exact amp at a different branch of the same B&M store.It's basically new in a open box,hopefully I'll have it home by tonight.I'ts the last one,and they won't be carrying Adcom any longer,so I'm getting it for a great price.Thanx again.

Wayner