Newbie Alert. What system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry AZ, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. I am just getting involved with the HT world, and would like to get some advice from the experienced people here.
    I currently live in an upstairs apartment, so I won't be going for any super high end system.[​IMG]
    I am looking at the Kenwood HTB-504 HTib for a complete setup.
    I also am thinking about possibly going for the Kenwood VR-509 receiver (the HTB-504 has the VR-507), and adding the JBL NSP1-5 speakers that many people here seem to like. I would have to hold off on the sub for now, but that may be a good thing in the apartment.
    I am looking at Etronics.com for these. They seem to have some of the best prices around. Anyone do business with this company?
    Are there any other recievers that would be comparable or better in the 509's price range?
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I live in a second floor apartment myself. I have people below me, above me, and on both sides of me. I have had a Definitive Technology ProCinema system for over 2 years (with Sub) and have had no complaints. The building I am in is quite old and not well insulated sound-wise. I guess I got lucky with neighbors or something. You may not want to write off a sub. I was very concerned about this when I first got the system but all went well.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions about components. Just wanted to pass along my apartment theater experience.

Regards,

Keith

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with the 509 plus JBL NSP1 and a Sony SA-WM40 sub from Best Buy (~$150). a sub is a MUST in any HT setup-- the difference is night and day!

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Remember, there's always a level adjustment for a sub, as well as "dynamic range control."

Plus, the NSP1 speakers will have *zero* bass by themselves. We're talking basically nothing below 80Hz.

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

6. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses all.
    I now am thinking about going with the Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595. Looking at the posts on this forum, they seem to be the prefered units for a begining setup.
    I'm a little PO'd though about their warranty policies in regard to getting the unit from "non-authorized" dealers. I guess it will come down to who will deal closest to a non-authorized price.
    I also have an existing set of Bose 601 (yeah, I know) speakers. Would it be better to use these as mains, and get some good speakers for center, l&R rear's and a sub, then replace them when the monetary budget allows? [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    www.jandr.com for the Onkyo 595. you can talk them down to $359...thats the best price from a respectable authorized dealer.

8. ColinW

ColinW Agent

I live on the middle floor of an apartment building and have neighbours above and below me. I am currently running a VR509 with Polks all around and a small 8" Polk sub. I went with the small sub because of the proximity of he neighbours. When I move into my house I will certainly upgrade to a nice big one.

I am very happy with the 509 and it seems as though it is going really resonably at a number of retailers right now. I am sure you would be happy with the 509 as a beginning amp. I would also recommend going with a sub even if it is only small like mine.

Good luck,

Colin