Newbie again - B&W vs. Wharfdale - dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marko_J, May 29, 2002.

1. Marko_J

Marko_J Agent

Hi

here I am again - this time with a request for a help in choosing between two brands.

My first idea for HT system was - SAmsung 32' Wide-screen with built in R,L and C speakers. I thought about taking Wharfdale's 8.1 for rears, and 8.2 for front's, and for few month using TV' center. After few months I woul buy a sub and a decent center....
    The other idea and a reason for my dilemma are B&W's speakers VM1 and LM1. I thought about taking 5 VM1's (i can get a pair for 120$), or maybe combining them with LM1's (they are 210$ for a pair), and I would buy a B&W sub AS1.

What do you think? What's the better way to go... or could I combine (8.2 as front's, VM1's on stands as rears, and than just choose some center and sub...)

Please help!
    and enjoy world cup (if you are a soccer fan)...

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello again Marko,

The B&W bookshelf equivalent to the Diamonds would be the 303, I believe. Of course they are more expensive. It just depends...the new VM1's and LM1's are shielded and their designs allow placement which is quite a bit easier than with a traditional bookshelf. Extension seems to be fairly equivalent with the Diamonds.

Are you more interested in getting your system up and running quickly? If so, I would go with the B&W options...maybe 2 LM1's, 2 VM1's and the sub would be just the ticket.

3. Marko_J

Marko_J Agent

Well,I'm afraid tht it will be quickly either way - B&W or Wharfdale. The thing is that if I buy B&W I will be broke for another year (I'm buying an apartment 66 square meters, and I have to furnish it, not just the HT)
    So If the Wharfdale is better for less money maybe I'll afford that and than I'm going on involuntary diet [​IMG]
    What about Eltax - I've seen them only on the net and it looks cheep. Reviews are fair - again "...they are worth much more than they cost...". I think that the right "sentence" would be for expensive speakers"...you pay too much for their worth...".
    But I just don't trust eltax, and I don't know why...
    I have 2 more months to decide, and it will be 2 months full of mind changing and nerves wrecking...
    thanx
    P.S. I don't know if you can notice, but I started to use spell check [​IMG]

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Spell-check...smell-check...any misspellings weren't bothering me. Glad to see you've settled in though. [​IMG]
    Back to the speakers...go Wharfedale then and be done with it. You know they make a Movie Sub/Sat Combo don't you? Here's a link to view:
    http://www.speakerhut.com/cgi-bin/sp...?9CCVPXZC;;124
    The price isn't bad when you consider everything is good to go.

5. Marko_J

Marko_J Agent

I know they make Sub/Sat combo, BUT I don't think that that's available in Croatia right now, and if I order from some other state I still have to pay custom, so it's not worth it...
    whatever may be, I'm sure I'll be satisfied when the day of my move to the new apartment comes. I will at last have whole place only for my self, no roommates, no family... [​IMG] [​IMG]