Newbie-Adding Surrounds-Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkMaestas, Jan 9, 2002.

1. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. I am new to home theater. I am looking at setting up a system in our family room (13x18)which opens on one side into the kitchen. I want a system that sounds good, but is economical. We use it about 75% for movies and 25% music.

I currently have:

*Mitsubishi Platinum WS55807 55" TV (16:9)

*An older Sony STR-D565 Reciever (says it has Dolby Surround and Pro Logic, but I've never used it)

*Pioneer DV-343 DVD Player

*A pair of 20+ year old Bose 501 speakers.

I am happy with the TV and the DVD player, although basic, seems fine. I need to add a sound package.

I was considering three options....

#1- Buying the JBL NSP1 package ($300) and the Sony SAWM40 sub ($150) and using my existing reciever. Total=$450

#2- Buying the Kenwood HTB-504 system ($395) which would allow me to upgrade my reciever. Total=$395

#3- Keep my existing reciever, use the Bose 501's as my front speakers, add the JBL N-24's as surrounds ($105 pair), the JBL N center channel ($115), and the Sony SAWM40 sub ($150). Total=$370

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Mark

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

#1 is a good package, but getting that rec. upgraded to a DD/DTS model is a bigger factor, IMO.

I'd almost say get the HTB setup, and see if the main speakers sound better than the Bose. Try the best combo that way while you save up for #1.

Or sell what you have and get a new DD rec. and pkg #1. Accessories4less.com has a nice Marantz for $288 + shipping, or see what you can get locally. Decent stuff can be had for about $300 everywhere.

Good Luck!

- CM

3. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

Colin,

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post. Anyone else with other ideas out there? Any thoughts on a good reciever upgrade besides the marantz? I was thinking of maybe going with the this setup...

Kenwood VR-507 ($240)

JBL NSP1 Speakers ($300)

Sony SAWM Sub ($150)

Any input?

Thanks again

Mark