Newbie - 5.1 speakers in the $1500-$2000 range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Mishkoff, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Matt Mishkoff

Matt Mishkoff Auditioning

I'm really new to home theater and hoping to get some advice from all of you much more knowledgeable types. I'm putting together my first home theater system. I've already got the receiver I'm going to be using, a Yamaha 5560. This was chosen not just for quality reasons, but also because I've got a buddy who works for Yamaha and got me a fantastic price on it.

So now I'm looking at speakers, a complete 5.1 setup. My budget is in the $1500-$2000 range. I'm just starting to audition speakers and I'd like to get some good suggestions of brands and models I should look at in that range. I'm just as concerned with music as HT, I'll probably use them for each in equal amounts. I mostly listen to rock music.

I'm an apartment dweller, so my space and placement options are pretty limited. The room itself is large if you consider that the dining room is attached to it with no wall in between, but the actual viewing/listening area is smaller than that. For the two front speakers, one will be sitting on tile to the left of my fireplace in front of a wall, the other on carpet without a wall behind it at all. For the rear speakers, one will more or less be in a corner, the other just in front of the back wall of my living room.

Any suggestions? Also, any local dealer advice for the Dallas area would be much appreciated.

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

dmc-electronics.com has great prices on PSB's and they negotiate some...

if space is a consideration, the 7t's will eliminate the need for a subwoofer...however, i would prefer the 5 or 6t's and a dedicated sub...

my friend got a pair of the 7t's, pair of 10s's, and the c9 for like 1500 delivered...its sounds pretty good to me...its not as good as my system, but its not too far and i paid more than twice than he did for my system.

Rich

3. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Some brands the can likely be auditioned locally:

Paradigm, B&W, KEF, JM Labs, Energy, PSB, Polk, Mission, Athena, NHT

Some available only online or from non-US vendors:

Axiom, Ascend, Onix Rockets, Aperion, Norh, Dahlquist (may be available locally)

That's what comes to mind off-hand. Obviously these brands may also have lines above or below your target area.

4. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

i dont want to throw you off really but if you want the best - try to buy the main 2 speakers first right now with that budget and buy the rear and center later when you save more money.