What's new

Newbie 5.1 setup recommendations (1 Viewer)

JaredBing

Auditioning
Hi all,

Please help me decide on a HT audio setup to use with a 57" Toshiba TV in a 25x15 basement family room. Concerned about the following criteria:

- 5.1 system for sure, since I wired the ceiling for 2 rear speakers only
- I want it to sound spectacular and powerful at fairly high volumes. Keep in mind that what might sound mediocre to some of you may sound great to me since I haven't really ever listened to high end systems. If it impresses me it'll impress anybody I bring over to listen.
- Will be used mostly for DVDs, then TV watching, music just once in a while, but again I want to feel it in my spine when the balrog steps onto the bridge.
- Rears need to be fairly small for inobtrusive ceiling mounting, rears also need to be silver or white if possible (wife); mains it doesn't matter as much since they'll be in a custom cabinet, anything up to largeish bookshelf size OK, don't want large floor standing mains
- Budget is max of $1200 for speakers and receiver.

I initally looked at home theater in a box packages but have been mostly talked out of going that low end. I've looked at a Klipsch Quintet package with subwoofer combined with maybe an Onkyo TX-SR501 or similar (don't need the 6.1 but need the component video switching) receiver. I've heard good things about the Klipsch sound quality but have also read that they wear out quick. I've also heard great reviews on Energy Take 5 speakers.

Any advice on what you'd pick if you were me would be greatly appreciated. Please include receiver advice also though I know this isn't the receiver forum.

DarwinU

Grip

B&W LM1
I don't remember who, but one member here has them mounted upside down on the ceiling. It's got a swivel base, so it's positioning is fairly flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks