newbie 5.1 decisions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Simon-d, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Simon-d

Simon-d Extra

Hello

I recently purchased a Toshiba 57H83 (rear projection) TV and now need nay want to purchase a 5.1 setup. Already have a progessive scan DVD player, satellite dish and VCR :)

I'm not an audiophile and I'm on a bit of a budget let's say around $700 CDN, can go a bit above. Any suggestions? anything inparticular to stay away from?

The room is 17ft x 15ft. Running cables is no problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments about the TV are welcome...ISF calibration read a bit about this... is it worth the money?

Sy

2. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Check out the RAD MIcro system at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com it is only $750 USD. Very good set up. You have a choice of color also.

3. Simon-d

Simon-d Extra

thanks for the link but $750 USD is $1,028 Canadian, abit too far above my budget.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The Acoustic Research HC6, 5.1 system can be had for $300-$400 U.S.

Very nice at the price.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"I'm not an audiophile" Sure, neither am I, but I do want something that doesn't grate on my nerves. I also want to feel the bass.

You're in pretty tough trying for a budget of $750, so you may want to piece it together over time.

Look for a Denon AVR-1403, it's around $400 Canadian and matches well with Paradigms Atom bookshelf speakers.

Look for 1 pair right now, as 2 pair would put you over your budget, and everytime you get a few bucks buy another pair for the rear, a center, and finally the sub.

SURE, it may take you a while to get it all but it will be a much better system than a HTIB solution.

Brent

6. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have to agree with Brentl, build the best stereo setup you can now, and add extra speakers over time. [​IMG]

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I personally like Klipsch. There Quintets can be had for about $350 USA and it is a pretty good price. Also you might be able to make a component Klipsch system for around $600US but you will have to purchase a cheaper subwoofer...

8. Simon-d

Simon-d Extra

thanks for your replies...I'll keep that in mind