Newbie 2: sound but no surround

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RandyH, Jun 4, 2002.

1. RandyH

RandyH Auditioning

Thanks to everyone who posted to my previous questions, I was able to hook up my entire system through my reciever as instructed. My latest problem is the sound from everything will come through the stereo but like normal, not surround sound. Any ideas why? Here's what I have:

Yamaha R-V703 reciever
    Hitachi TV
    Hughes Silver Ed. Satalite
    Sharp VC-H992 VCR
    Panasonic DVD-CV36 (DVD/CD player)

As an alternate question:
    I have S video jacks on the TV and DVD player but nothing else so I didn't use, I think from my reading that was correct?

Thanks again for all the help, I hope I gave enough info

RandyH

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Randy,

Which sources are you using? VHS, Most Sat Programs and CD will always be supplied in 2 channel. If you want to try to get some surround effects from 2 channel material, you have to apply a DSP like Dolby Pro Logic or DPL2. You should consult your manual on how to turn these functions on.

As far as DVD goes- make sure you have a 5.1 DVD in the player. Make sure you have selected the 5.1 soundtrack. Make sure the DVD player is connected to the receiver via a digital connection. make sure the receiver is looking at the right digital connection. Make sure the auto detect mode is on. Make sure the DVD player menus are configured to properly pass dolby digital (consult manual).

-Vince

3. Andrew Raubuck

This probably is not the right answer but try this. Are you trying to use DTS? If so, make sure you turn it on in you DVD player (or reciever if you use its processor). My parents bought a RCA HTiB and could not get any surround sound. They were using the coaxial cable but did not turn on the DTS function in there player. Once they turn in it on, everything work fine.

I dont have DTS so I use the six RCA cables (R,C,L,RS,LS,Sub) running from my DVD player to my reciever. And just the S-Video Cable from my DVD player to TV for the Video.

Hope this helps,

Andy

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I think what is being said here is this (and I could be wrong, but):
    "I want to use video switching through my receiver. I have several devices, all of which have composite outputs. Of the devices I wish to use, only one (the DVD player) has svideo output. Am I correct in assuming that I should use all composite connections through the receiver if I want to use it for switching?"

If that is what was meant- then you are correct. You receiver can either deal with Composite or Svideo for switching, so all your devices have to be the same if you don't want to toggle the input setting on the TV.

However- if you are willing to toggle the input on the TV for certain devices, you do have a few other options availble to you:

1) You could run all the composite cables to the receiver and then out from the receiver to the TV. Then, you could connect the DVD Svideo directly to the set.

When you want to watch a DVD movie, simply switch the TV to the svideo input to get the higest quality signal from your DVD player. You would switch the TV back to the composite input to get video for all other devices in your system (and they would be switched through the receiver).

This would make it so that you have one extra step to watch DVD (it wouldn't be switched by the receiver- you'd have to manually do it at the TV)- but you would have the best possble video quality availble for your configuration.

2) You could run both the Composite output and the Svideo output from the Receiver to the TV. Connect all the composite devices to the receiver and connect the DVD player to the receiver via svideo.

Then, when you select DVD on the receiver, you could switch the TV to svideo input and get the better video quality from the DVD. This is essentially identical to option 1 outlined above (but requires an extra svideo cable), however sets you up for having future Svideo devices as the connection would already be wired from the receiver to the TV...

I would personally opt for option 1 if it were my system.

-Vince