newbe questions about front projection. please awnser my questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by dajaga, Aug 14, 2003.

1. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

hi i was planing on getting a new tv. i was accually thinking of a fptv. well i got a couple of questions.
    1.is there anything like high definition front projection or is it for rptv.
    2. i watch about 50/50% tv/movies will this look good with a fptv.
    3.can i get a good one for about 4000dollar canadian and which companies should i be looking at(ie sony toshiba rca ect.) or would it be better getting a rptv.
    4. is there any way to get an adjustable screen. so i can make it smaller or bigger. like when im watching a movie with my speakers up half way and i wanna make the screen a 70+inch or if i wanna watch some tv and i dont feel like watching a 70+inch and make it down to say a 40inch.
    thanks for your time. from dave

2. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I was also a newbie not too long ago considering a front projector and I bought one. It has been one of the best media purchases I ever made, I love it!
    I use my NEC HT1000 for about 60% tv watching including High Definition channels via digital cable and I watch 30% DVD's and 10% timeshifted s-vhs recordings.
    I am currently projecting about a 78 inch diagonal picture with the projector sitting on a coffee table in my living room. I currently use my white living room wall as a screen. The picture is spectacular but I intend to by a Da-lite High Power screen for early evening-daytime, curtains pulled viewing primarily of sports events.
    I have sliders on the feet of my coffee table and I can just easily push the table forward or back along with using the manual zoom on the lens of the projector to get any size picture that I want.
    There are many different price ranges. I paid $4000 American for my NEC HT1000 but they have a new model being released in September that should lower the price of this model even further. The HT1000 has had fantasic reviews across the board.
    A downside of front projectors is that some people experience headaches and see rainbow artifacts in the pictures. I have experienced neither with my NEC HT1000.
    Go to the Projectorcentral.com website and read about various models, compare prices and read both professional and consumer reviews of scores of models.
    Here's one vote for a front projector as being the best dispaly device option out there at the moment.

3. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

bump

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Please review the HTF Rules.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Dajaga, $4K will get you a decent projector like the Sony HS10 that has a native resolution of 1366x768 or the Panasonic L300U which is a 1/4HD projector with a native resolution of 960x540. Both will do HDTV nicely and the image from both compare closely despite the resolution differences. Note that the Panny has a long bulblife of 4000 hours which is a friendly choice if you are watching lots of broadcast TV on it. You have to budget ..ie, make allowances to replace the bulb after the life of it has expired and this cost can be anywhere from $200 - $400 depending on the type of projector you get.

Either of these projectors properly set up will blow you away literally.