Newbe question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric Hardman, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Auditioning

Just got a Infocus X1 and today I am planning on making a ceiling mount(using concept from the forum group). I have a question regarding screens. Right now in my basement the walls are all uneven and have some rebar coming out. I intend to hang a sheet to use for a temp screen today, but am looking to build screen this week.

I was at Home Depot today(while buying a sheet for $39.99! Can not buy single sheets!) and saw some paneling like material which was being sold in 4X8 sheets. The material was a shiny white almost like eraser board stuff.

The question I have is is this the material I would want to use for a screen? If so is it also the type of material I would want to paint with Rustnolium Metallic Aluminum paint as mentioned in other thread or just leave white? Also I figure I would need 2 of the sheets to make it 8X8. Would the seam where the two sheets meet make a difference in picture quality? I figured I would make a basic form from wood, screw on some drywall, then glue these sheets down, then build a nice frame border to finish it off. Is there better material to use then what I am referencing? Also my level of DIY is more better stated as DIYTSH(Do it Yourself Then Seek Help)is there any material which will work as simple as the sheet concept

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

IIRC, Neil Joseph, one of the administrators on the HT Construction and Interiors forum recorded his search for the perfect DIY screen. His solution was to use formica and a paint blend that I don't recall. You may want to post on that forum or e-mail him and ask him for details.