What's new

Newb speaker question here (1 Viewer)

bernardJG

Auditioning
I was wondering....can you put non in-wall speakers in the wall if you mount it right during construction

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I am not an expert on this but I will try to take a stab at it......

It is my understanding that in wall speakers are designed to basicaly have the wall that it is in become its' enclosure. The enclosure of a speaker is very important. On a "regular" speaker the enclosure is designed in such a way to work with the the speaker in producing the sound. A "regular" speaker to me should not be placed in a wall simply because it is not designed to do so. If it is a rear ported speaker and it is put in a wall this will also obviously effect the sound. If it is front ported would I do it?.....still no way.....does it mean that it will take a good speaker and make it sound like utter crap if it is in a wall.....probably not but it WILL effect the sound in some way and I would rather have the speaker set up in such a way so the sound I am hearing is what the speaker was designed to sound like. Does this make any sense?? LOL!! Someone please chime in and correct me if I am wrong as I probably am :b .........

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
In a standard speaker's design, the usually well-defined and harsh edges of the front speaker baffle are important to the overall sound character of the speaker. A speaker flush-mounted in the wall, will not sound the same as when it's positioned correctly, in-room.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I agree with Scott and Evan. That said, I fully expect that a regular speaker mounted in-wall will sound vastly better than a comparably priced “real” in-wall speaker.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I have no clue what your budget is, but I was looking at the Salk Sound website today and saw that they have some speakers that are specifically designed to be used as either in-wall or bookshelf speakers. They have a switch on them that adjusts some settings in the speaker based on how you place them: 1) in-wall, 2) against wall, 3) out from wall.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing any Salk speakers, but most reviews are very, very good.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Another option might be to build in-wall shelves, such as I've seen for TVs and so forth in newer houses, on a smaller scale for the speaker. But if you are going to do a real in-wall installaiont please, use speakers, which were designed for that purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks