Newb receiver question for y'all...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ian C, May 5, 2003.

1. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Okay, so I've only ever had my one receiver (Sony DB-830), so I don't have a lot of experience with these things. My receiver does not seem to have a "memory" for different sound types (ProLogic, DTS, DD, etc), only for input. So, since I have a lot of things set up to my DVD player input (external automatic switcher) it uses the same settings for different things. I watch a lot of anime in ProLogic as well, and I would like to adjust things a little differently than I have it set up for Dolby Digital.

Do current receivers allow you to save adjustments by sound format and not just by source?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

What types of sound adjustments are you reffering to? Help us help you. I understand you wanting to change soundfields with different source. Dolby Digital for movies, Pro Logic for anime (which I watch a lot of too). But I'm a little confused as to what settings you're tweaking between formats? Are you referring to things like equalizer and speaker level adjustments? If you are, I don't think you'll find any receiver that allows different settings for the same source but different formats.

This is stuff that in theory shouldn't need tweeking between formats (although I know sometimes it feels like it does). One thing to remember is that while any stereo source can be processed into Pro Logic surround, you won't get a particularly good effect unless the source was actually encoded for Pro Logic. (I'm speculating but) This may be what you're experiencing if it's speaker level you want to adjust between formats. You probably feel overwhelmed by nearly all the sound coming from the center channel. This is common and is a product of no or poor Pro Logic encoding in the source. There's not much you can do about it. Newer processing, Pro Logic II and DTS:Neo, improve the situation some, but still aren't spectacular.

EDIT: Changed "the channel" into "the center channel" so it makes a little more sense. My English speaky good. Yes? [​IMG]

3. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...I think you've nailed it. The anime I watch just sounds so...teeny, but I guess that's just the nature of the material. I'm curious what Logic 7 or PLII sound like...guess I'll found out when the wife approves another upgrade.