What's new

newb questions (1 Viewer)

I apologize for what most of you will probably consider a waste of space, but I couldn't find a reasonable explanation in the primer.

What exactly is pre? pro?

If I never listen to radio (which I don't) do I need a reciever? Couldn't I use an amp with my CD player, DVD player, Directv reciever, and Xbox?

If I have an amp, do I need (or why would I want) a pre-amp? And what does the pre-amp do?

I have an older Sony ES series reciever currently (pro-logic, but before the era of dolby digital) that does basic surround. Should I just trash it when I up-grade? Or is it worth something to somebody?

Again, sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm hoping to get some answers to the miriad of questions swimming around in my head. I want to make informed, intelligent decisions so that I don't have huge regrets when finished with my home theater. And to be honest, I would rather get advice here, than trusting my hard earned dollars to a saleman in a stereo shop!

Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
A preamplifier/processor is the "nerve center" of your system, which, in turn, must drive a separate power amplifier (or amplifiers). You cannot run the amplifier without a preamplifier. It is the preamp (or "pre/pro") which does the signal processing (the Dolby Digital, dts, as well as analog stuff). The amplifier (or power amp) drives the speakers. An A/V receiver combines a preamp with an amp (and a tuner -- though many of today's home-theater preamps contain a tuner).

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Chris:

You might want to consider putting the Sony in a 2-channel system (bedroom, office, etc.) as it is probably pretty nice. Then, you can get something new for your HT system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks