newb questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Fleming, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Chris Fleming

I apologize for what most of you will probably consider a waste of space, but I couldn't find a reasonable explanation in the primer.

What exactly is pre? pro?

If I never listen to radio (which I don't) do I need a reciever? Couldn't I use an amp with my CD player, DVD player, Directv reciever, and Xbox?

If I have an amp, do I need (or why would I want) a pre-amp? And what does the pre-amp do?

I have an older Sony ES series reciever currently (pro-logic, but before the era of dolby digital) that does basic surround. Should I just trash it when I up-grade? Or is it worth something to somebody?

Again, sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm hoping to get some answers to the miriad of questions swimming around in my head. I want to make informed, intelligent decisions so that I don't have huge regrets when finished with my home theater. And to be honest, I would rather get advice here, than trusting my hard earned dollars to a saleman in a stereo shop!

Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A preamplifier/processor is the "nerve center" of your system, which, in turn, must drive a separate power amplifier (or amplifiers). You cannot run the amplifier without a preamplifier. It is the preamp (or "pre/pro") which does the signal processing (the Dolby Digital, dts, as well as analog stuff). The amplifier (or power amp) drives the speakers. An A/V receiver combines a preamp with an amp (and a tuner -- though many of today's home-theater preamps contain a tuner).

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Chris:

You might want to consider putting the Sony in a 2-channel system (bedroom, office, etc.) as it is probably pretty nice. Then, you can get something new for your HT system.