Newb Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Smith, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Auditioning

Mar 3, 2002
    I'm just now getting into the home theater stuff, and well, I need a little advice.
    I just bought a top 'o da line DVD player (no dvd-audio... doh!) and a nice 47" Widescreen HDTV from Panasonic. I was planning on picking up a nice 5.1 system and reciever, but I realized that I know very little about these specific components.
    Can someone give me some information on which brands/type of reciever I should get? I'm guessing I should get something with Pro Logic or Dolby Digital, but I don't really know. Also, I would like some info on what type of speakers y'all think are good.
    Thanks in advance for the help. [​IMG]
    Btw, I'm currently on a $800 budget for audio components.
  2. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Jun 22, 1999
    Do you mean $800 for receiver & speakers, or $800 for the receiver?

I would definitely classify myself as quite an amateur at HT, though over the past 5 years of slowly buying and upgrading my components I'm finally very happy with my current setup. If I could pass on one recommendation it would be to avoid (when possible) any mass merchandised components, particularly when it comes to receivers. Most of the stuff you find at your local mall or supercenter is pretty low quality stuff.

The single biggest item I found that really made a difference in my system was getting a receiver that could handle equal power to each channel over the full spectrum from 20hz-20Khz. You find the mass market items really fudge their numbers to try to impress you: "110 watts per channel!" they'll claim. Don't get sucked into the marketing. If you read the fine print, it will say something like "110 watts peak @ 1Khz" basically saying that you'll only get that 110 watts at a particular frequency in the sound spectrum. In actuality, you may only be getting 40 watts from the system as a whole. So, make sure you get a unit that can handle equal power across the entire spectrum, and your foundation will be good.

If you are targetting $800 for both speakers and a receiver, you'll have to make some compromises. I would still recommend considering something in the line with a Denon 1802 as a baseline receiver, then buying the speakers you can over time. For example, for $800 you could probably get your receiver and two nicer main speakers (L/R). You could slowly add the center, rear surrounds, and subwoofer over time. I'll leave it to the better "experts" to recommend which priorities to set in which order. I started with a 16:9 TV, then slowly added components from there.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Feb 28, 2001
    if you can stretch that $800 just a little further, you could start out with a really nice system:
    Onkyo 595 ($359) Level II speakers ($499)
    that would do you pretty well until you feel it's time to upgrade (which i'm sure will come faster than you want! [​IMG]).