Newb question regarding connections to projector.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan_AS, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ryan_AS

Ryan_AS Auditioning

I'm planning on purchasing an InFocus Screenplay 4805 projector and a Pioneer 1015TX for my new HT.

Question is, does each individual device (DVD, Sat, Xbox, etc.) need to be connected directly to the projector? I was under the impression the all the devices are normally connected to the A/V receiver and then all one cable goes out to the display. Am I mistaken?

Thanks.

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Each type of connection will give you different results in quality. RCA composite the lowest, then S-video, and component the best. If you are installing the wires in a wall and you won't be able to get to them later, run all the types. You never know what the future will require.

You can do your connections either way. Going through the A/V receiver makes switching between the sources easier. My DVD is the only component connection I have so, I connected it directly to the projector.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Heaven forbid you might not have enough inputs on your receiver for everything and also not have enough inputs on your projector for everything. So you end up having more than three things including the receiver output connected directly to the projector and also more than three things connected to your receiver.

Front projector owners usually prefer to use the receiver for the switching so that just one cable (expensive at that length) needs to be strung through the wall and ceiling to reach the projector. Recently experts have suggested one cable of each kind, that is, one composite cable and one S-video cable and one component video cable set and one digital (HDMI or DVI) cable.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. John S

John S Producer

I actually usually do a cable for each input the Display offers. Multiples of any that have more than one of a certain type of input.