What's new

Newb question; how to hide wires (1 Viewer)

Brian.S

Auditioning
I am about to move to a new rent house(so I can't do much if any drilling) and I was wondering how can I wire my surround speakers so they are not in the floor tripping ppl and generaly being irritating. I am sure this is an obvious answer but I have lived in an apartment w/ my system until now so I didn't have any options of drilling at all until now. The surrounds will not be against a wall anywhere most likely and be mounted on floor stands. I belive there is a large window preventing and wall mounting otherwise I am guessing that would be the best rount. Thank you very much for all your help!

-Brian

Tim K

Second Unit
buy some of those little cable tacks or whatever they are called. They are U-shaped plastic with a little nail on one side. Just tack a few along the baseboard molding to hold the wires out of the way.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
YOu can also go along the tops of the baseboards and the door frames (if necessary) and hide the cables using black electrical tape. You can also buy paintable tape.

Stew

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Or you can pull up the carpet along the walls & run the wire next to the tack strip. Then run it to the location of your floor stands & poke it through a pea sized hole in the carpet.

Brian.S

Auditioning
Thanks for the help but here is my problem, my rear speakers are not on a side wall and any day now I will be recieving my new monster 14ga cable and I am afraid that will be too large to go under the carpet, here is a diagram of my setup:

~ = Walls @ = TV and reciever # = Couch !! = Rear Speakers . = floor

~~~~~~~~~~~~...... ~
................................. ~
................................!!~
@@@.......................##~
................................!!~
..................................~
..................................~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You see there are open walkways near both of the speakers(and the RL speaker is 6-7ft from the wall) so it is impossible to go against the wall and my townhome is 2 stories so there is no attic or way to go through the celing. This is going to be a bigger problem in a couple days when I get my new 14ga wire. I really need to find some way to get these wire out of the way, any ideas? Thanks in advance!

-Brian

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
In your situation, if I read your diagram right, I would recommend this:

Use "FLAT SPEAKER WIRE" (Monster, since you like that brand) under the carpet from the receiver to the back wall. Terminate at a wall plate behind the couch. Use your 14ga wire from the wall plate to the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks