Newb question: How do I just watch TV through my receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I just got my first receiver: the Onkyo SR-600. I don't know where to go to find specific troubleshooting questions for setting it up, but I didn't find this one in the manual.
    Anyway, I have a coax cable coming in for my cable. It's supposedly digital cable, but I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway, what input do I set it on to see the TV channels through the reciever? There's DVD, video 1, video 2, video 3, and so on, but all those match up with the composit inputs on the back. I don't see one that says "cable tv" or anything like that. In fact, the coax input on the back of the receiver just says "antenna", but I assumed it would work just the same. I can get my DVD, PS2, and Xbox channels all working on their respective inputs, but I don't know what to switch it to to just plain watch TV.
    P.S. I'm also having trouble getting my remote programmed, if there's any help on that anywhere...

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Lanny,
    you have to run it into the cable box and run the video output to the tv, the audio outputs go to the rec.inputs from the cable box, or run the coax into the tv,if the tv has audio outputs run these to the rec.Use the input for video 1 . I think these are your only two options.

3. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thanks. I think I may just have to run it through my VCR for now, which has audio outs. I'm still left with one confusion:
    Why is there an input on the back for an Antenna if there's no way to output it? Why then, is there that plug at all?
    (you can see the rear view pic here by clicking rear view)

4. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

Lanny,

That appears to be an FM radio antenna input. You would have to use the receivers tuner function to listen to radio. It is not for cable TV input.

And try remotecentral.com for your remote programming questions. A very useful site.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Lanny,

The antenna in the upper left corner is for FM radio. Your packing box should have a flatwire antenna that shoves onto the F-type screw terminal. You can push-pin this antenna to the wall behind the amplifier.

As for cabletv hookup, you say its going to the VCR? Like VCR RF IN? That's ok, but three questions:
    What's yr tv; does the cabletv feed involve a cable company set-top box; and how are you running the audio/video out of yr VCR?

6. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thank you for helping me solve that- it's an FM antenna. That makes more sense.
    ------------------------------------------

I think my TV is over 10 years old.

My cable doesn't take a set top box, it just comes straight through the cable. It goes to the VCR Coax IN, and then I use RF out from the VCR to go to the receiver.

edit: wait, actually I don't know if RF in means what I think it does. I mean that from the VCR to the receiver, I use the composit cables (red, white, yellow). Is RF the same as coax, or the same as composit, or what? Still new. :b

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

8. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

can i add a new question to this thread? i don't want to muddy the issue but i have been wondering - first, let me say that i watch tv thru my vcr when i want the full surround effect and just the tv alone for regular viewing. however i'm wondering how to hook it all up if i remove the vcr (rarely used these days) and want to watch tv thru the receiver for surround sound and just tv for regular programming? i hope this makes sense.[​IMG]

9. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

If you want to get rid of the VCR it might be possible to buy an RF converter at radio shack. it would input the cable line and output the red/white/yellow analog audio and composite video signals. I'm not completely sure that converter exists but i bet it does. I am pretty sure a converter would be required because I have never heard of a receiver being able to accept regular coaxial cable line.

10. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Joe,

1. Cabletv coax to TV's ANT IN screw-type post.
    2. Red/white audio cables from tv's Audio OUT (FIXED if you have it) to receiver's D-TV audio INs.
    3. Switch rcvr input mode to D-TV for surround sound. Apply Dolby Prologic or DPLII if you have it. Use rcvr volume control.
    3. Tune tv audio and video as usual without receiver for tv speakers.

Does this apply to yr tv?

bill

11. joe rizzuto

bill,
    #3 is a no go.
    i have an onkyo ds484, very basic model.

guess i'll keep the vcr?

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Joe,
    (I see I had two #3) As for the first, I cant believe yr Onkyo wont accept red/white audio cables from the tv's Audio Out.

Dont be deterred by what kind of ProLogic you have. The tv sound still will be stereo OR ProLogic audio from the center and rears.

13. joe rizzuto

hey bill,

this #3-

"3. Switch rcvr input mode to D-TV for surround sound. Apply Dolby Prologic or DPLII if you have it. Use rcvr volume control."

neither the receiver or remote has a d-tv button/switch

the rest looks do-able

14. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I looked at an online view of a 494 model. Yolu can use Videon 1 or Videon 2 red/white inouts for tv sound. hell, the CD inputs oughta work too. jes try somethin' it wont break.

15. joe rizzuto

thanks for the effort bill.you're right, i need to be more daring when it comes to this stuff. i'll give it a try when i'm ready to let the vcr go and let you know the outcome.
    thanks again![​IMG]