Newb Question bout OTA programming...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Steven Divita, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Steven Divita

Steven Divita Auditioning

Jan 20, 2003
    Hello, I just purchased a Sony KDF42WE655 HD TV, and I am recieveing about a dozen OTA HD channels. My question is PBS HD programming looks awesome, like it was meant from the get-go to be HD, but like on my local FOX network the movie "Under Cover Brother" was on, and it appeared to be in HD, and the tv was reporting it was in 720P, but even though it was indeed in widescreen, the movie itself wasnt originally made in HD, Correct? So are they simply upscaling a widescreen presentation of that movie to 720P? Dont get me wrong, it looked good, just not quite as sharp as other shows I have seen.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions....
  2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Sep 28, 1998
    I don't know if it was an upconvert or not, but even if "Undercover Brother" was true HD it was originally from film.

Film theoretically has a higher resolution than HD, but images from film are subject to the original focus used (often a little soft looking) and the scanning process. So films scanned to HD resolution look good, but they often don't look as "good" or clear as images taken directly from HD video cameras, which a lot of PBS-HD programming is. Native HD video looks especially sharp on an HDTV.