Newb question about subwoofer inputs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricDeB, Nov 26, 2005.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Hey just a quick question. My subwoofer has two inputs, both a right and a left one. This means that I will need a Y adapter with my subwoofer cable, correct? Is there another way to hook it up without a Y adapter, or is that the only way to utilize both inputs?

Thanks a ton
    Eric

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    You should hook it up as the manufacturer recommends. I tried mine both ways, and I hear no difference. Either the left or right should be marked "mono"(for a single cable hookup).

3. EricDeB

Hum I have a velodyne ct120 maybe that helps, but I can't figure out which one is mono, because it doesn't say on the back of the subwoofer.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Eric,

They are linked together ("added") anyway. So it won't make much of a difference which one you use, if you're using only one input you may have to turn the volume a little bit up as compared with two inputs (most probably without even noticing).

Disclaimer: this is true unless the manufacturer explicitly states otherwise in the manual. But, really, I never met a sub (yet?) that needed both inputs to receive a signal.

Cees

5. EricDeB

Sweet thanks a lot